PDA

View Full Version : Apex controlling Vortechs

Fin Mike
10/19/2012, 08:47 AM
I am considering upgrading my power heads to a Vortech for my 120. Here are my questions.

I have the full Apex version. Do I need the wxm module to run the pumps if I still have V3/V4 variable ports I can use?

If I intend to use the Apex to control the Vortechs, does it matter whether I have the es version or just the W?

If I buy an ES, what is the advantage of using the Apex to control it. Are the additional modes an ES has worth the price difference between it and the W if I intend to run either with the Apex?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

RussM
10/19/2012, 09:14 AM
VS ports cannot be used with Vortechs... they are for Tunze pumps and dimmable lighting only.

The Apex must have a WXM attached to control Vortech drivers, regardless of them being ES or the older w models. With the w drivers, you will not have the ES-only modes available (Tidal Swell and Nutrient Export), but the standard modes are all available with either pump driver. So the ES is definitely preferable, but not required.

There are big advantages to using the Apex & WXM... integrated feed cycle control, scheduled mode changes, etc.

aquamanic
10/19/2012, 09:16 AM
You need the WXM module regardless of which version of the Apex you have.

The VDM module or the variable speed ports on the full Apex are used for Tunze pumps and dimmable lights. The Vortechs work a different way and need the WXM.

Doesn't matter whether you use the "W" version or the "ES" version. Both work and you can mix/match on a single WXM. Only difference is you don't get the ES modes like Nutrient transport on a non-ES pump.

Make your own decision on whether the ES modes are valuable to you. Again, ES or non-ES will both work on the same WXM.

EDIT*** What Russ says...he's a faster typist!

Fin Mike
10/19/2012, 10:05 AM
Thanks guys. That explains it well. One more question. When I go to set up profiles, there is an option that says vortech. I take it that this is what you use in conjunction with the WXM module to program it?

RussM
10/19/2012, 12:05 PM
Yep!

aquamanic
10/19/2012, 12:17 PM
This is what it looks like:

You select the max intensity and the mode. If the mode is sync or antisync you select the master pump as well. The Apex and WXM do the rest.