PDA

View Full Version : Too soon for Moderate Difficulty SPS?

Spyderturbo007
10/19/2012, 12:43 PM
My 55g has been up and running since late June of this year. I wanted to know if it's too early to try what's listed as a "moderate care" SPS?

I was particularly interested in this Birdnest Coral Bali (Seriatopora guttatus) (http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+6&ddid=167543)

So far my polyps, Purple Tip Hammer Coral and my Galaxy coral are doing great.

I'm going to start dosing Kalk as soon as I get my Apex up and running this weekend since my Ca has been running low since the tanks inception. It's within the defined parameters, but not ideal. Here are the results from my testing last night:

Temperature = 80.8
Nitrate = 0ppm (Red Sea)
pH = 8.1 (API)
Alkalinity = 8.98 dKH (Hanna Checker)
Calcuim = 355ppm (Red Sea Pro)
Phosphate = 0ppm (Hanna Checker)
Magnesium = 1,400ppm (Red Sea Pro)

Is it too soon for my first SPS?

As for inhabitants, have one cleaner shrimp, a purple firefish, some snails and hermit crabs.

Lighting is handled by a 4 x 54w T5 HO Aquatic Life fixture.

Allmost
10/19/2012, 12:51 PM
Hello,
how is the flow ?

I would take the next 2-3 weeks to try to keep KH and CA++ stable, test multiple times a week, once you are stable for a week, and all the tests results are same [so your KH and ca++ stable for a week or two] then add a SPS ...

do Dip new SPS. and nspect them closely. you do not want to end up with a pest like AEFW or even bad crabs. :)

good luck :)

Spyderturbo007
10/19/2012, 01:04 PM
The flow is something that might be holding me back currently. I have one Kohalia 1050gph pump. I was considering picking up a Vortech MP10wES this weekend when I head to the LFS.

Do you follow the same procedures with SPS that I did with my Hammer and Torch coral? I've been dipping them in CoralRx according to the instructions on the bottle.

As for stability, what is considered an acceptable swing over time for Calcium and Alk? My Magnesium doesn't change much at all, which I understand is normal.

Allmost
10/19/2012, 01:13 PM
MP10 is great, you willl love it.

same thing about dipping :)

regarding stability, as stable you can get it to be, I dose 24 times a day, every hour ! less than 0.5 shift through a day is good. SPS are picky ! I saw someone comparing SPS keeping to keeping a hot GF lol u gotta get her the new things and make her happy, and she can still leave you one day out of no where lol hahahah :P

vmacisback
10/19/2012, 01:48 PM
If i were you I would get your calcium up past 390, 355 is unacceptable IMO. You need it to be around 425-450. You have to remember CAL,ALK, and MAG are all ionically balanced, therefore when you add more CAL you may see changes in the other two. You need to get your tank dialed in before adding SPS. I would get the cvalcium up and let your tank stabilize with the new levels before adding.

Allmost
10/19/2012, 01:51 PM
420 PPM of ca++ in NSW :)

you are correct though.

sponger0
10/19/2012, 02:02 PM
Yeah...get your numbers proper. Get a stable alk that doesnt shift more the 1 dkh per day and you should be good.

BTW that looks more like a poccilipora and they grow everywhere lol. Birdsnest are pretty forgiving. Its the acros that are difficult.

Spyderturbo007
10/19/2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. It sounds like I need to work on my levels for a little while longer before "jumping in the SPS pool". :D

Does anyone order their coral online? I was looking at Live Aquaria but don't know how I would deal with the coral when it arrives since I would be at work when it gets delivered. I could have it delivered to my work, but I would be stuck there until 4pm. Any thoughts?

sponger0
10/19/2012, 06:50 PM
If it were me, I would buy local first and find something cheap. Like through your local reef club, lfs or craigslist. That way you don't lose too much money before you get the hang of it. My first 2 pieces cost me a total of $15. First 2 sps that is

watchguy123
10/20/2012, 08:51 AM
Dude, go for it. But first get your parameters (ca++), to normal seawater. What makes a tank stable is generally time and keeping calcium, mag, alk, temp, flow both stable and representative of seawater . And by the way, your elevated mag will likely compensate for your low calcium until you get your ca higher. And last tidbit, most test kits at best are consistent but not necessarily accurate so not a bad idea to have lfs test your water as double check (and yes some lfs have such poor employees that no point to double check but some are great and knowledgable)

Acronic
10/20/2012, 11:12 AM
also make sure to monitor the nutrient levels. No3 and po4 should have a hint of a reading. Something like 0.02ppm - 0.07ppm for po4 and <1ppm for no3. If the sps pale they are bleached or starving, start them lower in the tank ie: the sandbed for a week and gradually move it up.

What size is your tank? The koralia might be sufficient for the time being. Vortech is a nice pump though and sps love the reefcrest mode.

Spyderturbo007
10/20/2012, 06:11 PM
And last tidbit, most test kits at best are consistent but not necessarily accurate so not a bad idea to have lfs test your water as double check (and yes some lfs have such poor employees that no point to double check but some are great and knowledgable)

I actually work in a laboratory so I can test Ca, Mg, and P at work with our ICP. :beachbum:

What size is your tank? The koralia might be sufficient for the time being. Vortech is a nice pump though and sps love the reefcrest mode.

It's a 55.

Acronic
10/20/2012, 10:19 PM
If it is a standard 55 48 inch long you would be better to add another pump to eliminate dead spots and get that tank churning