PDA

View Full Version : Pencil Urchin in Sump?

letsgrow34
10/20/2012, 12:39 PM
Hey guys my tank is about 4 months old now and everything going great thanks to sites like this and great lfs in area. My first thing I put in the tank was a pencil urchin because a friend had one he gave me and said it was pretty hardy so I did. Well 4 months later I am tired of him bull dozing rock work and corals. I swear everyday he knocks something around lol. But I dont want to get rid of him so for the last two weeks he has been in my fuge. 12 hour light cycle lots of live rock rubble and a little dusting of sand. I think this is perfect spot for him cause I know they are verocious eaters but my question is he gonna effect my pod population? Thanks for any input

Gary Majchrzak
10/20/2012, 12:45 PM
Hey guys my tank is about 4 months old now and everything going great thanks to sites like this and great lfs in area. My first thing I put in the tank was a pencil urchin because a friend had one he gave me and said it was pretty hardy so I did. Well 4 months later I am tired of him bull dozing rock work and corals. I swear everyday he knocks something around lol. But I dont want to get rid of him so for the last two weeks he has been in my fuge. 12 hour light cycle lots of live rock rubble and a little dusting of sand. I think this is perfect spot for him cause I know they are verocious eaters but my question is he gonna effect my pod population? Thanks for any inputpencil urchin, eh.. Is it a red one?

They ARE beautiful bulldozers. Eat corallines- not pods. But the sump isn't a good place for an urchin unless you have corallines growing down there. Rarely the case. A red pencil urchin is valuable trade in material at a LFS or with other reefkeepers that know about them. If you were near me I'd take it :)

letsgrow34
10/20/2012, 01:01 PM
I am not sure if he is a red one. His legs/spines are more brown but body is a reddish color.