PDA

View Full Version : Issues maintaining SPS coloration with Radions

xenon
10/20/2012, 02:51 PM
I have two Radions over my 75G tank (48x18x21).

I keep my lights @ 100% 20k with 0% green and I just don't feel I am getting enough PAR and spread to get good SPS coloration.

I ordered more Radions so now I will have twice as much light. Hopefully that will do the trick. Otherwise, I am going to need to go back to T5's or MH.

Anyone else having issues with getting good SPS coloration with LED's?

xenon
10/20/2012, 02:53 PM
Before everyone says "it must be your water quality", its not.

My parameters have been rock solid for months using the Fauna marin balling lite method on automated doser with weekly water changes with Tropic Marin Pro Reef.

HaleMoana
10/20/2012, 03:08 PM
Did you acclimate your tank to the Radion's? Radion's at 100% should be a lot of light. Hopefully you started at a much lower intensity and slowly increased to 100% n

How long have you had them over the tank?

BigKahuna
10/20/2012, 03:48 PM
Two Radions over a 75 @100% is a lot of light. I have two Radions, albeit with the TIR upgrade, over a much deeper 150DD and I think 85% might be too much on them. I originally had my pair of Radions over my old 75 before the 150DD upgrade and I never got them over 60% to be honest. How high do you have them mounted?

fishyguy7
10/20/2012, 03:59 PM
I agree that 100% is a lot of light. One radion is said to cover 24x24 inch area. I have one radion over my 24 inch cube running 60% and things look good.

xenon
10/20/2012, 10:56 PM
It's not much light @ 20K settings. 100% RB, 100% B, 30% W?

I would totally agree that 100% @ 12K would be too much light but not at 20k.

You loose a ton of intensity when you want a more blue look.

Eastamherstbias
10/25/2012, 01:17 AM
I have two over my 4x2x2. It is plenty par. I have SPS growing all over the place.

I think you have other issues.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8299/7960753922_b016643555_c.jpg

xfactor1315
10/25/2012, 01:21 AM
How long have you been running them and how did you aclimate to the new lights?

Eastamherstbias
10/25/2012, 01:25 AM
I took the Par readings of the old fixture and then matched them to my par readings of the new fixture. Had the radion cycle max out of 80% of that old fixture par for a month and then ramped it up after that. I have had the radions since they were introduced and the same with the TIR lens.

xenon
10/25/2012, 10:58 AM
Ive been running them since I setup my system 7 months ago.

I have been maintaining stable cal/alk/mag with FM balling method and do weekly water changes with Tropic Marin pro reef. I also have a chiller to maintain perfectly stable temps of 77F. I doubt its my water quality.

I am expecting to receive twice as many Radions early next week. Only time will tell. :)

Eastamherstbias
10/25/2012, 12:43 PM
Two radions is the right amount for your tank size. Since it is a new tank. I think they may be more of your issue. It took me a full 15 months before SPS was not dying and thriving. I would pick up the TIR lens before buying more radions.

chadfarmer
10/25/2012, 04:14 PM
maybe too much light ? are they browning?

chris88
10/25/2012, 05:51 PM
i think your not using the light to is full potential if your not going to use the reds and green leds. You might as well have bought a cheap led fixture. I run might with 100 on both blue 60% white 50% green and a 100% red and i get amazing color and decent growth.

xenon
10/25/2012, 09:21 PM
i think your not using the light to is full potential if your not going to use the reds and green leds. You might as well have bought a cheap led fixture. I run might with 100 on both blue 60% white 50% green and a 100% red and i get amazing color and decent growth.

I run mine @ 20K preset so it has plenty of green and red.

I dont think you guy realize how much PAR you loose @ 20K preset. It drops the white light output to 38%.

I could certainly get away with 2 module over my tank if I ran them at 14-18K but I prefer a blue look so I need more modules to get the proper intensity.

chris88
10/25/2012, 10:54 PM
More radions could help depending on your tank size and depth. Did you ever think about adding some t5s. I have 4 t5s with my Radion and I love what each type of lighting brings to the tank.

xenon
10/26/2012, 12:07 AM
More radions could help depending on your tank size and depth. Did you ever think about adding some t5s. I have 4 t5s with my Radion and I love what each type of lighting brings to the tank.

I have the standard sized Perfecto 75g tank (48x18x21).

I was ready to throw in the towel with LED's in general and go with T5's until I calculated how much it would cost me in bulb replacements, not to mention electricity and heat increase.

I really want to make LED's work and if adding more light does not do the job, I will be forced back to T5's or MH/VHO combo.

Eastamherstbias
10/26/2012, 12:10 AM
Can I see a picture of your tank? I can't believe you are having issues with the radions and SPS and that it is light related. The radion pro will have better spectrum. Shouldn't you hold a few months until those come out?

lowscooby76
10/26/2012, 04:43 AM
let me just throw this out there.what are you using for water flow in your tank? i do think in someways leds lights come short on lighting for some corals.i think over time led lighting will get better.from what i have read radion pro should be a better light when the software has the bugs out of it.

xenon
10/26/2012, 07:53 AM
Can I see a picture of your tank? I can't believe you are having issues with the radions and SPS and that it is light related. The radion pro will have better spectrum. Shouldn't you hold a few months until those come out?

Here is a pic I took recently of some frags I have had for a while.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/26003034/frags.jpg

I will more than likely upgrade all the modules once the pro kit is available.

let me just throw this out there.what are you using for water flow in your tank? i do think in someways leds lights come short on lighting for some corals.i think over time led lighting will get better.from what i have read radion pro should be a better light when the software has the bugs out of it.

I have one MP40 and Tunze Wavebox for flow.

ghostman
10/26/2012, 08:02 AM
I have the standard sized Perfecto 75g tank (48x18x21).

I was ready to throw in the towel with LED's in general and go with T5's until I calculated how much it would cost me in bulb replacements, not to mention electricity and heat increase.

I really want to make LED's work and if adding more light does not do the job, I will be forced back to T5's or MH/VHO combo.

Have you used a PAR meter to see if your lighting is off? While they do measure low in the blue range, it would still give you an idea of they were inadequate for your setup.
I have a different take on T5 versus LED. Bulb cost to me is insignificant. A six bulb T5 setup would cost you approx. $200 a year to replace, but an additional radion is 3.5x more than that. Also running 3 radions would be comparable to running 6 T5 bulbs in wattage. So the savings might not be as great as we hope. Heat would certainly be more with T5s though. T5s are proven performers. I certainly wouldn't discount them if you are unhappy with the colors of your corals.

xenon
10/26/2012, 08:27 AM
Have you used a PAR meter to see if your lighting is off? While they do measure low in the blue range, it would still give you an idea of they were inadequate for your setup.
I have a different take on T5 versus LED. Bulb cost to me is insignificant. A six bulb T5 setup would cost you approx. $200 a year to replace, but an additional radion is 3.5x more than that. Also running 3 radions would be comparable to running 6 T5 bulbs in wattage. So the savings might not be as great as we hope. Heat would certainly be more with T5s though. T5s are proven performers. I certainly wouldn't discount them if you are unhappy with the colors of your corals.

T5's need to be replaced every 6 months. I was pricing out two 48" 8 bulb ATI Powermodule fixtures and since I have two 75g tanks, that was going to cost me $800/year!

I may end up selling all my Radions and going T5 in the future. Time will tell.

rtparty
10/26/2012, 10:06 AM
T5's need to be replaced every 6 months. I was pricing out two 48" 8 bulb ATI Powermodule fixtures and since I have two 75g tanks, that was going to cost me $800/year!

I may end up selling all my Radions and going T5 in the future. Time will tell.

False. T5s last 10-14 months in an ATI unit. This has been proven many times.

8 bulb powermodules are WAY too much for 75g tanks. You will fry a lot of coral like that. 6 bulb sunpowers are a much better choice. So you are at $300/year with bulbs.

The high end led systems don't save people money. Numbers prove that. Long term is another story. No led system has been around long enough to prove the 50k hour claim.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

xenon
10/26/2012, 11:40 AM
I will take your advice into consideration.

The topic of this thread is not about T5's .vs LED's.

Its about 2 Radions not being enough light for a 75G tank @ 20K settings. ;)

rtparty
10/26/2012, 11:46 AM
I will take your advice into consideration.

The topic of this thread is not about T5's .vs LED's.

Its about 2 Radions not being enough light for a 75G tank @ 20K settings. ;)

That is true but an ill informed hobbyist will read this thread and your post above and base information and decisions off of it.

Then we will be reading about how an 8 bulb powrmodule is too much light on a 75g tank and killed their tank. ;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Eastamherstbias
10/27/2012, 01:18 AM
Two radions is enough for that size of a tank with sps, get the TIR lens.

EcoTech Service
10/27/2012, 04:41 PM
This is certainly an odd issue, as I can assure you that (2) Radion XR30w's are more than enough light for SPS to grow and thrive. Here's a link to our 350G Office Tank (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.199870223356852.52047.151328168211058&type=1) which has 50+ species of Acropora grown from frags under the Radion lighting. Is there any way you can post details regarding your water parameters as well as a photo of your light schedule? Together, we can help in establishing a schedule that would help the coloration of your coral if lighting truly is the issue.

Like Eastamherstbias suggested, upgrading to the TIR lenses would certainly help if you are concerned with low-light areas.

xenon
10/27/2012, 10:46 PM
SG - 1.026 (refractometer)
Alk - 8.0 (hanna checker)
Cal - 425 (salifert)
Mag - 1350 (salifert)
Temp - 77 (chiller)
PO4 - 0.04 (hanna checker)
NO3 - 2.5 (salifert)

I also use the Fauna Marin Balling method with FM auto dosing pumps so my parameters are very stable.

I do weekly water changes with Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt.

If not enough PAR @ 20k is not my issue, then it must be spectrum. When do you guys expect to release the "pro upgrade kits" ?

My lightning schedule is 20K preset with 8hrs of 100% brightness and 2hr ramp up in the morning/evening.

fishyguy7
10/28/2012, 12:18 AM
I dont recall you saying what was actually happening to your acro's. Are they browning? bleaching?

xenon
10/28/2012, 12:20 AM
I dont recall you saying what was actually happening to your acro's. Are they browning? bleaching?

I wouldn't say they are browning or bleaching. They are jus not coloring up.

fishyguy7
10/28/2012, 12:21 AM
I wouldn't say they are browning or bleaching. They are jus not coloring up.

that totally doesnt help LOL so are you saying that they are staying the same as they are?

Eastamherstbias
10/28/2012, 12:29 AM
Your ALK seems a little low. I am confused by this as well. I was looking at your SPS picture and they look good. You just want it to grow faster. 10k will do it but the color won't be great.

fishyguy7
10/28/2012, 12:30 AM
Are you running bio pellets by chance?

ghostman
10/28/2012, 07:36 AM
You're numbers look great-better than mine :) The picture looks great too, if that was a frag pack for sale, I would buy it!!! Are you looking for more "pop"? You picture is very white, so I'm assuming the colors are even better under a bluer light. Please try to be more specific as to what looks wrong with your frags/lights.
Even though i miss the violet spectrum, I'm wary of the Pro upgrade. First is the power issue as raised by BigKahuna. The standard radion power supply specs are inadequate for the pro, so I'm guessing the upgrade is going to be costly or not equal to the pro. I hope I'm wrong.

aoeBombcat
10/28/2012, 05:44 PM
I have 2 radions at 100% over my 90 gallons. I also had the same issue with paleing and looses color. But some one recommendated i lower my lights because my tank is too clean. Zero N03 and P04. After i took their advice, I adjusted the P04 to .02 and lowered the light from 12 hours to 8 hours of 20k at 100%. I can see the brown and the colors are slowly coming back i mean very slowly, and its only about 3 weeks. I also added amino acids.

My water is very stable as well, but its just too clean.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2220616

I noticed you have 8 hours already, maybe lower it to 7 or 6 hours. Normally, the more the better, but just not this case Radions.

Good luck.

xenon
10/29/2012, 09:23 AM
that totally doesnt help LOL so are you saying that they are staying the same as they are?

Yeah, its been a long time since i have noticed any change in color.

Your ALK seems a little low. I am confused by this as well. I was looking at your SPS picture and they look good. You just want it to grow faster. 10k will do it but the color won't be great.

Alk @ 8.0 is not low. Natural sea water is 6.5-7.0. I am always reading higher alk will burn the tips of SPS in a low nutrient system.

Are you running bio pellets by chance?

No. I only dose Fauna Marin Ultra Bak (2 drops per day) to maintain my current PO4/NO3 levels.

You're numbers look great-better than mine :) The picture looks great too, if that was a frag pack for sale, I would buy it!!! Are you looking for more "pop"? You picture is very white, so I'm assuming the colors are even better under a bluer light. Please try to be more specific as to what looks wrong with your frags/lights.
Even though i miss the violet spectrum, I'm wary of the Pro upgrade. First is the power issue as raised by BigKahuna. The standard radion power supply specs are inadequate for the pro, so I'm guessing the upgrade is going to be costly or not equal to the pro. I hope I'm wrong.

Yes, I am looking for more "pop". I would be shocked if the regular Radions cannot be upgraded. If that's the case, I will ditch them completely and go with GHL Mitras.

I have 2 radions at 100% over my 90 gallons. I also had the same issue with paleing and looses color. But some one recommendated i lower my lights because my tank is too clean. Zero N03 and P04. After i took their advice, I adjusted the P04 to .02 and lowered the light from 12 hours to 8 hours of 20k at 100%. I can see the brown and the colors are slowly coming back i mean very slowly, and its only about 3 weeks. I also added amino acids.

My water is very stable as well, but its just too clean.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2220616

I noticed you have 8 hours already, maybe lower it to 7 or 6 hours. Normally, the more the better, but just not this case Radions.

Good luck.

Lowering the light schedule is certainly an option. I am just afraid the corals will get darker in colour if I do. I am gonna work on getting my NO3/PO4 levels a little lower before I give that a try.

Eastamherstbias
10/29/2012, 03:36 PM
I was always told to keep my ALK between 8.5-10 for good color on sps and that stable chemistry is what allows everything to adjust and become happy. I run my lights from 3pm-12am and about 8 inches off the water line. The majority of the time, I am at 20k but for 90 mins, I have all colors on at 90%.

xenon
10/29/2012, 08:07 PM
I was always told to keep my ALK between 8.5-10 for good color on sps and that stable chemistry is what allows everything to adjust and become happy. I run my lights from 3pm-12am and about 8 inches off the water line. The majority of the time, I am at 20k but for 90 mins, I have all colors on at 90%.

Everyone does what works for them. I have always seen negative results @ higher all levels. I would keep it @ 7dkh if I could. It's just really dangerous because it does not allow for much error.

My freshly mixed Tropic Marin Pro Reef is 7.2dkh.

ghostman
10/29/2012, 09:06 PM
+1. My system is close to an ULNS and I keep my Alk less than 7.5 or I'll get STN.

Jsingh
02/06/2013, 01:17 AM
Was the issue resolved? Did ecotech get back to you?

gdubs97
02/06/2013, 10:47 AM
I have two over a 120 and have noticed the following since I switched to radions. All zoas melt and come back very small. Alot of the SPS have lost color and or are pale. I think the second reason is a combination of having a ULNS and having too MUCH light. I have been feeding a little more frequently and I run my lights for 10 hours with a 90% intensity I believe. I can post more details later....but I would like to hear an opinion. I just miss my full zoas and colorful sps that I had when I ran my T5s.

Geo_85
02/06/2013, 12:58 PM
Going to follow this thread. I just switched to radions Gen 1 no tir lens yet.

Right now acclimating my corals up to 80% intensity starting at 50% of that (which is 40% intensity) over a 6 week period with ESL.

vargomat
02/06/2013, 02:38 PM
You've got it cranked up too high. I've got lots of SPS. I moved from a 7 bulb single reflector T-5 setup (ATI bulbs) to the Radions and started around 65% at 12k and went up to 100% during the next few weeks and bleached out many of my SPS corals.

My tank is a 90 gal and I've had many of these corals for years.

Here's a list of what happened to my coral.

Blueberry Millie - Basically stayed the same as with my T-5's, this coral is hardy and loves light
Lightstick - Lost blue tips and turned mostly yellow (still noted growth)
Pearlberry - Bleached out (very little color)
Red Planet - Lost green color and is now a light red and white (but growing a ton)
Red Setosa - Stayed the same
Purple Bonzai - Bleached, but still retained most of it's color
Zoas and Paly's - Started closing up and dying (too much light)

It took me a while to realize it was too much light. The Zoas and Paly's were what really told the story. Since then I've lowered the lights to about 70% and shortened the time their on from 11 to 8 hours. I've customized the program to reduce the white LED.

Since then things have been better and my coral are coloring up again.

I'm sure you already know this, but there are big differences between T-5's and LED's. The T-5's put equal (or close to it) levels of light throughout the tank (also have lots of reflected light). The LED's are much closer to MH's and do not spread the light as much (mostly direct light right into the tank) which means higher intensity light right underneath the fixture (especially with Ecotech version of LEDs vs strip LEDs).

Also, from what I've read the blue and royal blue LED's put out a lot of PAR that isn't being registered in typical PAR readings. I guess that's all hearsay, but from what I've experienced, the Radions put out a ton of PAR even if it doesn't look crazy bright to the naked eye.

This is the reason I'm on the fence to upgrade to the pro. I don't need any more light. If anything I'd like another fixture, so I can lower the overall light intensity and create a more level light source throughout my tank. This would also add a 3rd light source from another angle to help light get behind some of the shadows created by rocks and coral based on the position of the other fixtures. The pro would bring additional colors to the spectrum, which may liven up the look (LED's are know to be dull looking because of the lack of spectrum, hence the new colors).

I hope this helps. If I were you, I'd try moving to max 70-75% for a month or two and see what happens. I bet you'd see a little less growth and better coloring in your coral.

mooch1982
02/06/2013, 02:53 PM
I own a PAR meter and can tell you that 20K setting DOES provide a lot of PAR. I measured my fixture at 20K (45% brightness) and 14K (50% brightness), and I can tell you that the difference in PAR was not that much.

I also had issues with loosing color. I bought a PAR meter, reduced my light, and BAM, colors started to return in two weeks. People often make this mistake with LED. They crank them up becuase they look dim and fry corals. Remember, once you fry a frag, it can take quite some time for it to recover. Sometimes they just dont recover.

vargomat
02/06/2013, 03:07 PM
Yep, I think the reason they look dim is because they are not reaching the corals at every angle like the T-5's do. They are more direct and therefore create many more shadows unless you have multiple fixtures covering one location within the tank.

kdrof
02/06/2013, 05:11 PM
I agree with the posts above. I was on the fence with LEDs initially. A good friend of mine had Radions for a year. It took 6 months of similar issues until his coral was used to the new type of lighting after switching from T5s. Everything started to color up and look equal to t5 or better.

Bugger
02/07/2013, 07:17 PM
I think xenon should give his background info. He sells corals and has a tank with one radion per foot (8 foot tank)
Is there a difference between those corals and the 75 gal tank corals
No offense but the corals you showed look great!
par is not really measurble for leds using standard equipment
check out the new article on advanced aqrist about leds and what they prefere

Torts dont really keep under leds
xenon how deep are the corals under the water surface

Arnoldtatts
02/08/2013, 03:04 AM
Just got radions gen 1 I shall follow post for 411

pwoller
02/12/2013, 11:31 AM
You seem to dismiss all of the advise you are getting so Im sure you will do the same to mine but here goes. You are stripping the water of nutients that your SPS need to get great color. My advise would be to ease up on the water changes and feed more. I am getting better color out of my sps after switching from T5's and I"m willing to bet that your corals just need the added nutrients.

SteviesReef
02/13/2013, 12:21 PM
My SPS color is great with the Radion. However, I know from experience that it is very easy to bleach out the colors with too much intensity. As others may have mentioned (I didn't read this whole thread) the leds put out a LOT more intensity than you sense with your eyes. By adjusting the graph/intensity, I stopped the bleaching and got the color back.

pwoller
02/13/2013, 03:10 PM
I went from a 8 bulb T5 fixture, started at 45 percent 20k with the radion and bumped it up 5 percent a week and didnt mess with anything else. 10 hours of light 1 hour ramp up and 1 hour ramp down. I lost a blue tort which strangely enough everyone that put a frag of this coral under LED's had it die too. I had it for 5 years under MH and T5's and it grew well and the color was great. Most of my other SPS are actually showing better color under the LED's then the T5's. I can handle losing one sps in the transition if the rest are going to flourish. I think as with any lighting some sps will do better and some will not.

xenon
02/13/2013, 10:00 PM
Was the issue resolved? Did ecotech get back to you?

Yes. I added more Radions. :)

I am now running them @ 20k preset with 0% green and 30% white with a total intensity of 60%. At higher nutrient levels, my SPS can handle 80% brightness without bleaching but when my NO3/PO4 are really low, 60% is ideal.

I think xenon should give his background info. He sells corals and has a tank with one radion per foot (8 foot tank)
Is there a difference between those corals and the 75 gal tank corals
No offense but the corals you showed look great!
par is not really measurble for leds using standard equipment
check out the new article on advanced aqrist about leds and what they prefere

Torts dont really keep under leds
xenon how deep are the corals under the water surface

My 75g tank is 20" tall and I have the frag racks setup as a stadium effect so that I can put the lower light demanding corals down bellow so the tank depth really depends on the species.

You are stripping the water of nutients that your SPS need to get great color. My advise would be to ease up on the water changes and feed more. I am getting better color out of my sps after switching from T5's and I"m willing to bet that your corals just need the added nutrients.

I have a pretty healthy bioload and I also feed rottifers, oyster eggs and amino acids so I doubt nutrition was the factor. I do like a little PO4 (0.02) and NO3 (1ppm) for deeper/richer coloration.

Here are some pics of my setup:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0196/5296/t/2/assets/canada-corals-1.jpg

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0196/5296/t/2/assets/canada-corals-2.jpg

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0196/5296/t/2/assets/canada-corals-3.jpg

rgauvin
02/14/2013, 06:17 AM

color me jealous...

xtlosx
02/14/2013, 12:08 PM

I am now running them @ 20k preset with 0% green and 30% white with a total intensity of 60%. At higher nutrient levels, my SPS can handle 80% brightness without bleaching but when my NO3/PO4 are really low, 60% is ideal.

My 75g tank is 20" tall and I have the frag racks setup as a stadium effect so that I can put the lower light demanding corals down bellow so the tank depth really depends on the species.

I have a pretty healthy bioload and I also feed rottifers, oyster eggs and amino acids so I doubt nutrition was the factor. I do like a little PO4 (0.02) and NO3 (1ppm) for deeper/richer coloration.

Amazing setup BTW.. off topic question. On your second picture showing the stadium setup and clowns, what frag is all the way in the top row closest to us... I've seen it called highlighter acro, but don't have an official name for it... It's in my tank, and was curious what it was called.

Thanks, love the Radions.

xenon
02/14/2013, 12:53 PM
Amazing setup BTW.. off topic question. On your second picture showing the stadium setup and clowns, what frag is all the way in the top row closest to us... I've seen it called highlighter acro, but don't have an official name for it... It's in my tank, and was curious what it was called.

Thanks, love the Radions.

Those are actually green acropora humilis frags.

xtlosx
02/14/2013, 12:56 PM
Those are actually green acropora humilis frags.

Thank you kind Sir.

chadfarmer
02/14/2013, 07:00 PM
so u need the lights 3 inches apart to be able to grow sps, so a 90 gallon would need 6 lights

Tradewinds
02/14/2013, 09:59 PM

Nice looking tank, nice and clean. Do you have a build thread?

xenon
02/14/2013, 10:26 PM
Nice looking tank, nice and clean. Do you have a build thread?

No build thread. These are not display tanks, just a frag tank with mother colony tank sharing the same sump.

Geo_85
02/15/2013, 11:47 AM
Nice, gone adjust some of my lighting points now! How is your growth under that edited 20k setting

xenon
02/15/2013, 12:08 PM
Nice, gone adjust some of my lighting points now! How is your growth under that edited 20k setting

I would say growth is "decent" but I am sure I could get faster growth with different settings. I would only recommend my settings if coloration is your goal.

Jsingh
02/18/2013, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the reply and sweet looking corals. So on your 90g tank exactly how many radions are you running? Is it 3? thanks!

GlassMunky
02/19/2013, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the reply and sweet looking corals. So on your 90g tank exactly how many radions are you running? Is it 3? thanks!

how exactly would one place 3 radions over a 90G tank anyway, since it has a center brace???

xenon
02/19/2013, 10:35 AM

These are 75g tanks but the footprint is the same as a 90g. I am running 4 modules over each tank (1 module per foot).

Jsingh
02/19/2013, 07:56 PM
These are 75g tanks but the footprint is the same as a 90g. I am running 4 modules over each tank (1 module per foot).

thanks for the response. Are the radions Gen 1 with no TIR lenses? thanks!

xenon
02/19/2013, 11:18 PM
Are the radions Gen 1 with no TIR lenses?

That is correct.

wayne in norway
02/23/2013, 08:41 AM
I don't think that lack of light is the issue. You've never cleanly described any browning out and more the symptoms associated with very low nutrient levels. You don't need that many lights, but you'd need to explore what's going on a bit more with that.

reefid
02/27/2013, 09:30 AM
Really nice, are you able to keep sps out from browning out using 20k setting? how high you hang your radions? I am having problem too of keeping red and green sps colour but my setting is a bit too high.. 24x24x12 running two modules with tir lens. If you dont mind could you share your graph?

Thanks

vargomat
03/01/2013, 01:45 PM
Just an update to this thread. As I stated earlier in this thread, I burnt up a lot of my SPS with this light. I saw some of my SPS change colors (more white) and some seemed to grow really fast even with the color change.

The hardest hit coral was my pearlberry. The colony is about the size of a mini basketball and it was almost completely white. Since I've lowered my lights down to max 65%-75%, reduced the white intesity, and limited the time it's cranked up, I've seen dramatic improvement.

My pearberry is multiple colors again and looks the same as it did before the Radions. There is only one spot in a shaded area where the coral has not come back. Which I think really has to do with the direction of the light in comparison to my t-5's multi directional light I used previously (T5's have a full bar compared to very directional light of MH & LED).

I thought this might be of help to someone. BTW - I've got 2 radions over a 90... if you have 3-4 over the same area at 100%, it's extremely likely to be too much light for your SPS (unless you've got the lights raised super high, which would reduce penetration to the bottom).

allabarton
03/01/2013, 10:02 PM
Just an update to this thread. As I stated earlier in this thread, I burnt up a lot of my SPS with this light. I saw some of my SPS change colors (more white) and some seemed to grow really fast even with the color change.

The hardest hit coral was my pearlberry. The colony is about the size of a mini basketball and it was almost completely white. Since I've lowered my lights down to max 65%-75%, reduced the white intesity, and limited the time it's cranked up, I've seen dramatic improvement.

My pearberry is multiple colors again and looks the same as it did before the Radions. There is only one spot in a shaded area where the coral has not come back. Which I think really has to do with the direction of the light in comparison to my t-5's multi directional light I used previously (T5's have a full bar compared to very directional light of MH & LED).

I thought this might be of help to someone. BTW - I've got 2 radions over a 90... if you have 3-4 over the same area at 100%, it's extremely likely to be too much light for your SPS (unless you've got the lights raised super high, which would reduce penetration to the bottom).

Thank you. It does help. I installed TIR lenses a few months back and still trying to figure if I have too much or not enought light.

Benar
03/02/2013, 12:24 AM
Can you upload your .etg please?

allabarton
03/02/2013, 07:44 AM
Can you upload your .etg please?

If you are asking me I'll do it when I get back home this Sunday. Thank you.

david00061
03/02/2013, 08:01 AM
When I 1st put radions over my corals I ramped lights up to 6 hours at 100%. I got lots of growth. But color was a bit washed on some SPS. In June of 2012 I cut lights way back.
Colors are back. Growth is moderate (normal)

reefid
03/02/2013, 08:35 PM
Me too running 12k 100% for 6 hrs, most of my sps bleached especially the red one. Green turning to pinkish colour but colour stylo and birdnest pink are nice.. Anyone care to share their graphs?

SteviesReef
03/03/2013, 09:02 AM
I have a JBJ nano and use the high growth template at 50%. I went to 60% a few weeks ago and fried two montis in two days. All other SPS were bleaching. I'm back to 50 and everything is recovering nicely.

allabarton
03/04/2013, 01:55 AM
I wonder if that would be enough light for growth and color for SPS corals?

I have tall 60"x24"x30"H with 4 Radions with TIR lenses hanging 8" off the water.

Thank you.

xenon
03/04/2013, 02:10 AM
We are currently in the process of expanding our corals beds and want to run 3 Radion Pros on a hydroponics light mover (rail) over 4ft x 8ft tanks.

The goal is to get good growth and coloration with minimal lighting and power consumption over these massive tanks.

I will certainly update you guys on the process. :)

Aimforever
03/06/2013, 09:57 AM
I am running 4 modules over each tank (1 module per foot).

Finally, someone gets it! It is frustrating to constantly see people (even Ecotech themselves) perpetuating this myth that Radions cover a 24x24x24 area sufficient to grow SPS at their maximum color & growth rates throughout. That is simply not true.

I love my radions, but when I only had 2 over my densely packed 48x24x24 120G SPS reef it was unequivocally insufficient light. I lost color, growth slowed and the tank just looked awful. I've since added 2 additional Radions for 1 module per foot + 100watts of actinic blue LED strips and the color and growth of my SPS has returned.

I am using Gen 1 Radions without TIR, so perhaps it would be a different story with the Pros. I have been tossing around the idea of upgrading with the hopes of removing the extra LED strips for a cleaner look.

Adamc1303
03/07/2013, 06:12 PM
Hey do you think 4 gen 2's would cover a 84" long by 28" deep by 25" high? I know the gen 1's wont but will the hen 2's?

xenon
03/09/2013, 08:32 AM
Gen 1, Gen 2 or Pro's will all have roughly the same light spread. (18" x 18" max)

The only difference is the intensity (PAR).

d2mini
03/13/2013, 08:09 AM
Hey do you think 4 gen 2's would cover a 84" long by 28" deep by 25" high? I know the gen 1's wont but will the hen 2's?

The only way i'm able to have 4 over my 84x24x24 is because they are hanging lengthwise, and I can get away with this because i'm only 24" front to back AND i have a coast to coast overflow. I figure why put light over the overflow, so this in effect makes my tank more like 18-19" front to back. If hanging the regular way you need at least 5.

david00061
03/13/2013, 08:24 AM
I went from a 8 bulb T5 fixture, started at 45 percent 20k with the radion and bumped it up 5 percent a week and didnt mess with anything else. 10 hours of light 1 hour ramp up and 1 hour ramp down. I lost a blue tort which strangely enough everyone that put a frag of this coral under LED's had it die too. I had it for 5 years under MH and T5's and it grew well and the color was great. Most of my other SPS are actually showing better color under the LED's then the T5's. I can handle losing one sps in the transition if the rest are going to flourish. I think as with any lighting some sps will do better and some will not.

I don't have a blue tort. But I will be looking for one just to see how it does

d2mini
03/13/2013, 09:01 AM
Lost my blue tort frag too.
Had it really high. Never bleached or rtn'd, just slowly lost color and died.

Eastamherstbias
03/13/2013, 02:58 PM
Finally, someone gets it! It is frustrating to constantly see people (even Ecotech themselves) perpetuating this myth that Radions cover a 24x24x24 area sufficient to grow SPS at their maximum color & growth rates throughout. That is simply not true.

I love my radions, but when I only had 2 over my densely packed 48x24x24 120G SPS reef it was unequivocally insufficient light. I lost color, growth slowed and the tank just looked awful. I've since added 2 additional Radions for 1 module per foot + 100watts of actinic blue LED strips and the color and growth of my SPS has returned.

I am using Gen 1 Radions without TIR, so perhaps it would be a different story with the Pros. I have been tossing around the idea of upgrading with the hopes of removing the extra LED strips for a cleaner look.

It is not a myth. They really do cover a 2x2x2 spot. I have the exact same tank as you. Usually the tank looks bad if you overload the corals with too much light and don't give them time to adjust. I have noticed that people love to give out too much light. I made that mistake when I first got my radions. I back off and went with a adjusted 20k model with very little green and growth and color returned.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8392/8548956995_5184e52204_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8532/8548959685_2d23fc2171_z.jpg

david00061
03/13/2013, 03:32 PM
It is not a myth. They really do cover a 2x2x2 spot. I have the exact same tank as you. Usually the tank looks bad if you overload the corals with too much light and don't give them time to adjust. I have noticed that people love to give out too much light. I made that mistake when I first got my radions. I back off and went with a adjusted 20k model with very little green and growth and color returned.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8532/8548959685_2d23fc2171_z.jpg

I did same I was getting lots if growth, but colors was washed. I cut back color came back.

Aimforever
03/14/2013, 10:33 AM

Your tank looks great but I think the reason you have been successful with only 2 radions is because it isn't very grown in yet (thus no shadowing) plus you have predominantly softies and low-light SPS. For a full blown SPS reef 1 radion for 24x24x24 is not even close to enough light. As I said, when I only had 2 over my 120 my SPS growth slowed dramatically and they gradually started browning out, especially in the lower half of the tank. I let things try to adjust for a few months, but finally couldn't take it anymore. Since installing the 2 extra Radions plus the blue LED strips everything has returned to its former glory. It's been growing this way for >8 months now. To my eye, this combination has given me great color while maintaining awesome growth. Radions at 100% for ~7-8 hours per day with zero washout, bleaching etc.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee408/joncell36/Reefcentral%20Hosting/3cd8209e8fbb27e27037ba65293e91f8.jpg

Fortunately I didn't lose any of my blue torts, but they turned seriously brown under just 2 radions, but are brilliant blue now under my current setup.

I just don't want to see other people with large SPS reefs go through all the same problems and frustrations I did because of underestimating how many LED fixtures they'll need.

Mr.Fishtank
08/16/2015, 01:41 PM
You would not need to over light your tanks if your coral placement was better. Don't stack corals on top of each other and you wouldn't have an issue with shadowing. Two lights are perfect for a 48x18 tank. (90 gallon)

Zacktosterone
09/02/2015, 04:59 PM
any updates?

dr.big
09/13/2015, 09:47 AM

So true! i have 10 Gen 1 over 8 foot tank, 30 deep and it is not too much!