PDA

View Full Version : Straining frozen food?

msbreton
10/20/2012, 03:40 PM
I'm working on bringing my Nitrate level down. It's about 20 now. Feeding is good (aside from a messy Blue Tang with Nori) and I have a Bio Pellet reactor started (4 weeks in). I often seen folks here comment about not putting in the liquid left when thawing frozen food but I've never seen anyone talk about how they go about straining it. (I have always put it in with the food).

Any suggestions about how to easily strain as you feed from frozen cubes daily?

Thanks!

fishyguy7
10/20/2012, 03:49 PM
I use a brine shrimp net and rinse with fresh water.

426Hemi
10/20/2012, 04:36 PM
One thing you can do is get better food, like Larry's Reef Frenzy, the other you can do is strain it through a coffee filter. That will keep most everything good, and let the water strain on through. Also come down on the portions and feed more often and smaller meals so it is all eaten.

msbreton
10/20/2012, 04:56 PM
The straining process seems like a PITA. Today I put a cube in a shot glass, dip in a bit of tank water, thaw and then dump in. Easy. What do you do? Thaw in one glass, pour through a net in to what, sink? Then swish the next around in the tank to get the shrimp out? Then wash the net? Sigh...

426Hemi
10/20/2012, 05:06 PM
The straining process seems like a PITA. Today I put a cube in a shot glass, dip in a bit of tank water, thaw and then dump in. Easy. What do you do? Thaw in one glass, pour through a net in to what, sink? Then swish the next around in the tank to get the shrimp out? Then wash the net? Sigh...

Nope. I use the aforementioned Larry's food and I break a small piece off, and distribute it through the tank. It thaws as I am rubing it between my fingers. A little goes a very long way and you actually use less of this than other foods. Take a look at the ingredients and you can see how it is much better.

http://www.larrysreefservices.com/FRESH_FOOD.html

meanpressure
10/20/2012, 05:13 PM
I use a brine shrimp net and rinse with fresh water.

Exactly what he said.