PDA

View Full Version : zoas that EAT!

likefish
10/20/2012, 06:28 PM
I have a colony of gobstoppers that are growing well for me, have great color and love to eat!

Are there other zoas/pallys that behave similarly? Looking for that greedy feeding responce!

The only other thing i have seen "grab" food like this has been my green star polyps and i am trying to get them under control! They should have come with a warning label that they spread like the plague!

A. Grandis
10/20/2012, 11:01 PM
Tagging along...

Grandis.

Tabasco
10/20/2012, 11:26 PM
Most of my pe's eat, i have about 5 varieties. My vivid rainbow eats regularly. My car, utter chaos, lotrs and zippers will if in the mood. but definately not like the pe's.

ltlevil
10/21/2012, 11:22 AM
My Magicians will eat smaller mysis. Not only that, once the eat it they will open for another. When I started feeding I went from 3 polyps to 14 polyps in 7 weeks. My RPE will also eat small pellets.

SushiGirl
10/21/2012, 02:45 PM
My White People Eater eats mysis, and my Armor of Gods eat once in a while, but aren't greedy & usually push the food off. I haven't taken any pics of my WPE eating, but I have of the AOGs. The ones on the frag with the AOGs eat sometimes, no idea what they're called, though. One of those is also eating in this pic. The AOG in the back that barely has hold of the mysis only had one end and the Whammin' Watermelon behind it had the other end. The AOG won. That was the only time I'd seen a Watermelon try to eat mysis.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7249/6928980502_03e8a07d31_b.jpg

likefish
10/21/2012, 06:34 PM
Sounds like ppe and magicians are eaters! Ill start looking for them locally.

Any other pig paly/zoas out there?

SushiGirl
10/21/2012, 07:11 PM
I've not heard of any palys that won't eat.

A. Grandis
10/21/2012, 08:15 PM
Could you please name all the "palys" you know for me?
I'm still lost with the names and what exactly people call "palys".
I'll assume all the polyps in the list you give me are good eaters.
Could you please?
I want to find pictures of them online, so I learn them.

Thanks,
Grandis.

benjaminspades
10/23/2012, 11:24 PM
Fish Pellet eaters that I have personally fed.

~~~EATERS~~~
sunny ds
Purple orchids eat.
Red people eaters eat.
Candy apple reds eat.
candy apple greens
Cherry charms.
Pink and golds,
Green implosions,
arctic ice
mind blowing palys
captain americas

~~~Noneaters~~~

blow pops
Blue agaves
Utter chaos
Darth mauls
tubbs blues
radioactive dragon eyes
dragon eyes
mandarin oranges
bam bams
red hornets
blue hornets
purple hornets
Fire and ice
rastas

I cant remember what else i have that i've fed I will update list

A. Grandis
10/25/2012, 12:29 AM
What would you call "paly" from the list above, please?

Thanks!

Grandis.

benjaminspades
10/25/2012, 01:03 AM
Well I'm by no means an expert but my basic rule of thumb is:

Pretty much anything that eats is a paly. As they are less dependant on photosynthesis and more reliant on catching prey(copopod killers) Much like a venus flytrap. their physiology reflects their adaptions for survival i think(Longer skirts that are meant to capture?). again, these are just my observations. if anything a hypothesis and not 100% fact.

I believe the difference is also the way they grow and what they have in their mats.
Palythoas have a tendency to collect sand/small rocks on their mats as zoanthids do not.

zoanthids are moreso photosynthetic and to my knowledge feed very little on debris, food, detrius in the water.

Maybe someone can chime in but: why do zoa eating nudibranches(zens) avoid palythoas? I've actually experimented and found that ZENs typically avoid bigger "palythoas" and munch on the smaller cousins? maybe this could also be a telltale sign?

benjaminspades
10/25/2012, 01:06 AM
Please feel free to copy and paste this when you add more so at least we can build a basis on which newer members can build upon. and perhaps as a team, we can all learn more about these awesome creatures. I added Armor of gods and devil's armor.

Interesting side note: armor of gods eat pellets but they crap out long strands of brown material from excess pelletfood? IDK

~~~EATERS~~~
Armor of gods
Devil's armor
sunny ds
Purple orchids eat.
Red people eaters eat.
Candy apple reds eat.
candy apple greens
Cherry charms.
Pink and golds,
Green implosions,
arctic ice
mind blowing palys
captain americas

~~~Noneaters~~~

blow pops
Blue agaves
Utter chaos
Darth mauls
tubbs blues
radioactive dragon eyes
dragon eyes
mandarin oranges
bam bams
red hornets
blue hornets
purple hornets
Fire and ice
rastas

benjaminspades
10/25/2012, 01:07 AM
Please feel free to copy and paste this when you add more so at least we can build a basis on which newer members can build upon. and perhaps as a team, we can all learn more about these awesome creatures. I added Armor of gods and devil's armor.

Interesting side note: armor of gods eat pellets but they crap out long strands of brown material from excess pelletfood? IDK

~~~EATERS~~~
Armor of gods
Devil's armor
sunny ds
Purple orchids eat.
Red people eaters eat.
Candy apple reds eat.
candy apple greens
Cherry charms.
Pink and golds,
Green implosions,
arctic ice
mind blowing palys
captain americas

~~~Noneaters~~~

blow pops
Blue agaves
Utter chaos
Darth mauls
tubbs blues
radioactive dragon eyes
dragon eyes
mandarin oranges
bam bams
red hornets
blue hornets
purple hornets
Fire and ice
rastas

moncapitane
10/25/2012, 01:21 AM
Do Watermelon Zoanthids eat or not? I'm thinking about getting some of those along with some dragon eyes and fire and ice zoas in the next few weeks.

LeLutinBanni
10/25/2012, 09:45 AM
I saw my gobstoppers eat and my Darth Maul too.

Hethypo
10/25/2012, 10:05 AM
+1 my dath maul 2 eat food

danimal1211
10/25/2012, 01:48 PM
Just fed my new AOG's some cyclopeeze today. They were reluctant at first but two out of three polyps ate some. Hopefully ill get a few more mouths to feed

A. Grandis
10/26/2012, 12:36 AM
Well I'm by no means an expert but my basic rule of thumb is:

Pretty much anything that eats is a paly. As they are less dependant on photosynthesis and more reliant on catching prey(copopod killers) Much like a venus flytrap. their physiology reflects their adaptions for survival i think(Longer skirts that are meant to capture?). again, these are just my observations. if anything a hypothesis and not 100% fact.

I believe the difference is also the way they grow and what they have in their mats.
Palythoas have a tendency to collect sand/small rocks on their mats as zoanthids do not.

zoanthids are moreso photosynthetic and to my knowledge feed very little on debris, food, detrius in the water.

Maybe someone can chime in but: why do zoa eating nudibranches(zens) avoid palythoas? I've actually experimented and found that ZENs typically avoid bigger "palythoas" and munch on the smaller cousins? maybe this could also be a telltale sign?

Unfortunately the observations you've posted aren't 100% accurate and therefore can't be used to know the differences between Palythoa spp. and Zoanthus spp.

I just want to know the cartoon names from the list for what people call "Palys", independent of eating or any other observations, please.
Thanks.

Grandis.

Bpb
10/26/2012, 07:54 AM
Adding to the list.

~~~EATERS~~~
Armor of gods
Devil's armor
sunny ds
Purple orchids eat.
Red people eaters eat.
Candy apple reds eat.
candy apple greens
Cherry charms.
Pink and golds,
Green implosions,
arctic ice
mind blowing palys
captain americas
Nuclear green palys
Lunar eclipse palys
Texas trash palys
Yellow polyps

~~~Noneaters~~~

blow pops
Blue agaves
Utter chaos
Darth mauls
tubbs blues
radioactive dragon eyes
dragon eyes
mandarin oranges
bam bams
red hornets
blue hornets
purple hornets
Fire and ice
rastas
Whammin watermelon
Eagle eye

rogersb
10/26/2012, 05:01 PM
While I don't doubt some polyps will eat and others will not be observed to eat, has anyone noticed that the polyps produce faster or have better color as a result of feeding? I cannot justify adding a feeding to my tank if there is no correlation between growth or color and especially color. I get growth regardless.

benjaminspades
10/26/2012, 06:03 PM
Unfortunately the observations you've posted aren't 100% accurate and therefore can't be used to know the differences between Palythoa spp. and Zoanthus spp.

I just want to know the cartoon names from the list for what people call "Palys", independent of eating or any other observations, please.
Thanks.

Grandis.

I'm pretty sure you are right! But currently there aren't much t hat I can go on. If you could help ID or a means to ID I am all ears. Again, my statements above are just observations and nothing more. Do not consider them facts as they are not nor am I proven to be correct. I am here to learn as well as everyone else.

Bpb
10/26/2012, 06:34 PM
While I don't doubt some polyps will eat and others will not be observed to eat, has anyone noticed that the polyps produce faster or have better color as a result of feeding? I cannot justify adding a feeding to my tank if there is no correlation between growth or color and especially color. I get growth regardless.

My palys that eat tend to grow exponentially faster than my zoas that don't eat. Could be that they just grow faster, but might be from feeding. My zoas will form one or two new polyps per month, whereas my nuclear greens, lunar eclipse, and yellow polyps seem to form a new polyp weekly.

zoafarm
10/26/2012, 07:00 PM
Bpb - what are you feeding them?

A. Grandis
10/26/2012, 09:52 PM
I'm pretty sure you are right! But currently there aren't much t hat I can go on. If you could help ID or a means to ID I am all ears. Again, my statements above are just observations and nothing more. Do not consider them facts as they are not nor am I proven to be correct. I am here to learn as well as everyone else.

Would be all the "eaters" on the list called "Palys" by many?
My intention is only to learn what people call "Palys". That's all.
Not here to judge nor criticize.
Never mind, that's ok...
At the same time I don't want to hijack this thread!!!
I like very much to learn about feeding zoas...

I'll be tagging along for the feeding behavior/infos! :thumbsup:

Grandis.

Dre59
10/27/2012, 05:57 AM
Has anyone tryied this product on Palys?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-reef-chili-coral-food.html

A. Grandis
10/27/2012, 06:49 PM
Has anyone tryied this product on Palys?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-reef-chili-coral-food.html

Many people say it's one of the best.
High quality dry food for corals and zoanthids.
I just ordered some to try out.

Grandis.

Dre59
10/27/2012, 08:57 PM
Many people say it's one of the best.
High quality dry food for corals and zoanthids.
I just ordered some to try out.

Grandis.

Been using it on a few zoas and palys for almost 2 weeks.. (Target feeding)

Its still hard to say if anything has gone better by using it.

benjaminspades
10/27/2012, 09:08 PM
I just know reef roids is hard as hell to feed lol

benjaminspades
10/27/2012, 09:11 PM
Adding to the list.

~~~EATERS~~~

Shuriken Palys/zoas - OK these are straight weird. Got them from reefapalooza and they don't seem to be like any zoa I've ever had the opportunity to see before AND they act differently than all zoas in terms of feeding behaviors. They eat like a venus fly trap in a sense that it responds super fast. The skirts act like true tentacles and consume food relatively fast. Maybe these are in a class all on their own.
Armor of gods
Devil's armor
sunny ds
Purple orchids eat.
Red people eaters eat.
Candy apple reds eat.
candy apple greens
Cherry charms.
Pink and golds,
Green implosions,
arctic ice
mind blowing palys
captain americas
Nuclear green palys
Lunar eclipse palys
Texas trash palys
Yellow polyps

~~~Noneaters~~~

blow pops
Blue agaves
Utter chaos
Darth mauls
tubbs blues
radioactive dragon eyes
dragon eyes
mandarin oranges
bam bams
red hornets
blue hornets
purple hornets
Fire and ice
rastas
Whammin watermelon
Eagle eye

benjaminspades
10/28/2012, 02:28 AM
~~~EATERS~~~
Helms deep (zoanthids.com) Added**
Shurikens (zoanthids.com) Added**
bizzaros (zoanthids.com) Added**
Armor of gods
Devil's armor
sunny ds
Purple orchids
Red people eaters
Candy apple reds
candy apple greens
Cherry charms.
Pink and golds,
Green implosions,
arctic ice
mind blowing palys
captain americas
Nuclear green palys
Lunar eclipse palys
Texas trash palys
Yellow polyps
Blue agaves moved**

~~~Noneaters~~~

blow pops
Utter chaos
Darth mauls
tubbs blues
radioactive dragon eyes
dragon eyes
mandarin oranges
bam bams
red hornets
blue hornets
purple hornets
Fire and ice
rastas
Whammin watermelon
Eagle eye

A. Grandis
10/28/2012, 04:19 AM
Been using it on a few zoas and palys for almost 2 weeks.. (Target feeding)

Its still hard to say if anything has gone better by using it.

If that's really one of the best, in regards to quality, it should probably help with colors, beside the reproduction/growth rates.
I'll finally get my order by Wednesday to try that out.

If you're interested you could take a look at the links below about target feeding.

Artificial food study for corals:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2167572&highlight=links

Link for the article "Coral farming: effects of light, water motion and artificial foods":
http://www.researchgate.net/publication/229088671_Coral_farming_effects_of_light_water_motion_and_artificial_foods

Article on feeding behavior:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2180156

Polyps galore, 70+ colonies zoa tank:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1896006

Grandis.

A. Grandis
10/28/2012, 04:25 AM
I just know reef roids is hard as hell to feed lol

Let Reef Roids drop on the zoas with pumps off. You can use an eye dropper or similar. They'll grab it and eat.
People think that blowing the food, target feeding, makes them to eat it.
When you blow the particles the polyps will close as a reaction, not necessarily grabbing them and ingesting.

Grandis.

xcorallusx
10/30/2012, 05:20 PM
Palys is just another name for larger zoas, it has no scientific meaning, just a trade name. Kind of like deepwater acros, are not really from deepwater depths.
some examples of zoas are tubbs blues, orange bam bams, rastas etc.
some example of palys are sunnyd's, blue agaves, magicians etc.
some characteristics of palys is that they like lower light, attach sand to the stalks, and eat some prepared foods.
Zoas tend to like more light, grow smaller and closer together.
I would add these to the eater list.
Blue agaves
Utter chaos
Darth mauls