PDA

View Full Version : Back in the game

cmdmd
10/20/2012, 08:24 PM
Updating my journey.

I had a tank crash that killed all my corals and inverts. Then "abandoned" the tank as a FOWLR for a while...nitrates oscillating from 50-70. Had a massive green hair algae bloom and got motivated again. I have done 3 massive water changes (50%) and things are already better, NO3 5ppm and algae is not growing anymore. Salifert NO3 test kit is quite precise.

I'll wait 2 weeks before adding my first frag and watch it thrive. I will be on the ball with weekly water changes (25%).

I'm acclimating myself to tank maintenance before I get a hell of a gift from a friend...a 200 Gal system. At least these are less sensitive to water quality changes. :dance:

29 gal JBJ BioCube.

ajcanale
10/20/2012, 09:36 PM
Good luck :) You shouldn't have to do 25% weekly WC's to keep nitrates low, otherwise something else is wrong... Too much bioload, undersized skimmer, overfeeding, bad flow/too many dead zones, substrate/rock with very high nutrient levels, bad source of water... etc.

cmdmd
10/20/2012, 09:43 PM
I'm still a little paranoid. Yes, shouldn't need 25%...I will test NO3 and do water changes as needed.
I have two nano pumps 425 gph and added a 700gph+ for circulation.