PDA

View Full Version : how to frag encrusting gorgonian

greg1786
10/21/2012, 12:29 AM
I bout an encrusting gorgonian about a month ago. it has since take off and doubled in size!! I want to frag it because my brother and friend are getting ready to start keeping corals and id like to give them some as a tester to see how it does before they buy anything. can I just remove it from DT and keep it submerged in a bowl of water while I frah it? also should I simply use an exacto knife and slice off 1" pieces and glue them to plugs?? how well does this coral respond to fragging? last question is some of its newest growth areas have yet to sprout polyps, is it ok to frag these areas or best to wait until polyps come out??

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

coralreefdoc
10/21/2012, 01:07 AM
Species identification and/or pictures ?

usmc121581
10/21/2012, 05:14 AM
I bout an encrusting gorgonian about a month ago. it has since take off and doubled in size!! I want to frag it because my brother and friend are getting ready to start keeping corals and id like to give them some as a tester to see how it does before they buy anything. can I just remove it from DT and keep it submerged in a bowl of water while I frah it? also should I simply use an exacto knife and slice off 1" pieces and glue them to plugs?? how well does this coral respond to fragging? last question is some of its newest growth areas have yet to sprout polyps, is it ok to frag these areas or best to wait until polyps come out??

If you by chance have any rock ruble laying around, you could lay pieces at the edge of the coral and as it widens it will encrust the rock rumble. Once you get enough covering you break off the rumble piece and there is your frag.

greg1786
10/21/2012, 01:28 PM
http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u450/greg1786/2012-10-15012318.jpg http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u450/greg1786/2012-10-15012308.jpg

greg1786
10/21/2012, 03:10 PM
I like the rock rubble idea a lot actually seems like a really easy way to get some frags, however I am still curious as to whether I can take it out of the tank and cut it from the rock with a razor knife or exacto andis it ok to frag pieces where polyps haven't came out yet

usmc121581
10/21/2012, 04:09 PM
Sometimes you can actual peel the edge right from the rock and then take a razor blade to slice it. Use some superglue and glue the piece to a piece of rock. I wouldn't mind a frag if you ever decide to I live roughly 15-20 miles from M&T stadium.

greg1786
10/21/2012, 04:37 PM
awesome dude thanks for the advice. cool to meet somebody in Baltimore in the hobby. I'm prob. gonna try it tonight I'm hoping to get round 6 frags I am giving two away one to my bro n one to my friend but pm me when you got time and we can set it up I too live about 15 min from stadium