PDA

View Full Version : Dosing in main tank

macdreamy
10/21/2012, 01:57 AM
Hi guys

I'm gonna start a dosing regime once I get my hands on a dosing pump

A quick question, do I dose into the main display tank or into the sump?

Any help is appreciated

Cheers

visuvius
10/21/2012, 02:16 AM
I just started dosing as well. They say to just toss it into a "high flow" area. I haven't had any problems thus far with just dumping my calcium right in front of the powerhead in the main tank.

If its going in the sump I think you dump it into the return chamber.

visuvius
10/21/2012, 02:17 AM
I just started dosing as well. They say to just toss it into a "high flow" area. I haven't had any problems thus far with just dumping my calcium right in front of the powerhead in the main tank.

If its going in the sump I think you dump it into the return chamber.

ajcanale
10/21/2012, 09:09 AM
I've found that the best place to dose just about anything is the top of the drain pipe.

macdreamy
10/21/2012, 09:26 AM
I've found that the best place to dose just about anything is the top of the drain pipe.

as in just above the return pipe back to main tank?

hillscp
10/21/2012, 09:34 AM
I run my dosing pumps into the sump. Hides everything down there and gives things a little swish before returning to the main.

Cal and Mag are OK to dump in but Soda Ash (Alk) will raise your pH quite a lot if you just dump it in there (might cause CA precipitation too - don't ask how I know :))

ajcanale
10/21/2012, 04:55 PM
as in just above the return pipe back to main tank?

Correct

Palting
10/21/2012, 05:54 PM
The usual recommendation is to dose into the sump, especially for the alk part. A sudden influx of alk can burn your coral and cause RTN/STN. This is especially true if you do a once a day manual dosing. Dosing into the sump will allow dilution by the high sump flow, and further dilution by the return flow when it gets to the main tank.

Having said that discalimer, I will say I do dose my 3 part (cal/alk/mag) into three separate areas in the main tank. I have several powerheads, and I picked the three areas that have the highest flow, and put one dose tubing in each separate high flow area. The chemicals are added by a doser, giving several mutliple small doses in a day, further decreasing the chances of sudden increases of concentration in any particuar area. So far, I have not seen any bad effects, and hopefully never will.