PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Maid

RegalAngel
10/21/2012, 09:18 AM
Often see these large reef inserts in custom tanks...large tanks/inserts, and wondered how do they ever clean these inserts of algae?

http://www.livingcolor.com/aquarium-products/aqua-maid-cleaning-solution
Appears to be primarily Hydrogen peroxide.

I have a 300g tank with mostly rocks and a few artifical corals and end up removing all of them and placing them in a large container with about 10% bleach and then washing and replacing....a chore.

This would simplify the cleaning process considerably if it works.

Q. Anyone use H2O2 or Aqua Maid to perform this type of cleaning?
Q. Affect on bio bacteria...it says to monitor and change water if needed.

Pros/Cons?

bertoni
10/21/2012, 04:58 PM
There are a number of threads on dosing hydrogen peroxide into tanks. I can't recommend it yet, but some people are successful using the technique to kill algae. Some animals are said to be very sensitive to the chemical, though. If you remove the rocks from the system, it should be effective, and probably is a lot safer than bleach, since it'll require less rinsing and decays so rapidly into water and oxygen.

RegalAngel
10/22/2012, 09:09 AM
I contacted Living Color about Aqua-Maid and was told it is available only via Commercial Aquarium maintenance businesses, which leaves me out of obtaining it myself. I will try to see if I can find someone in that business locally that could obtain it for me.
But I would be more interested in its use and the pros and cons first before just dosing it into my tank not knowing more about it.

This comes from Living Color:

Yes I would not just dose the tank with hydrogen peroxide, there are many different elements in the product that make it work it an aquarium. Please let me know if you have anymore questions

Respectfully,

Brandon T. Jorge

Living Color, Inc.
Sales Associate
Phone: 954-861-2819
Cell: 954-325-3008
Address: 6850 NW 12th Ave
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida 33309
brandon@livingcolor.com

If there is someone on this Forum in that business that has used this product I would like to read your thoughts.

Jonathan, if you have contacts in the maintenance business in Mountain View, SF Bay Area, find out if any of them use this product.
I am way up North in Eureka, CA. and being a very small area likely don't have anyone in this area with the product familiarity.
Thanks!

RA

coralsnaked
10/22/2012, 10:43 AM
Not for use for live reef aquariums right on the label. This disclaimer seems to be self limiting at best

RegalAngel
10/22/2012, 11:34 AM
That is correct......

I have a Fish Only 300g System...no live corals, inverts.

This is about large commercial tanks with reef inserts and how they are maintained.

Some may have seen Fish Tank Kings on Nat. Geo channel, or Tanked on Animal Planet.
These businesses Living Colors in Ft. Lauderdale, and Acrylic Tank Manufacturing in Las Vegas build
some tremendous large tanks with reef inserts for commercial displays.

I am small fry by comparison but still have the maintenance issues associated with these larger tanks.

tmz
10/22/2012, 01:14 PM
It's hard to comment since we won't know what's in it. If it's an oxidant ,ozone would do much the same thing as might hydrogen peroxide. They will all burn living tissue when high enough. In any case monitoring orp ,even in a fish only tank would be prudent if using oxidants,imo.

RegalAngel
10/22/2012, 01:53 PM
It is stated in the Living Color site the following:

"Aqua-Maid’s main active ingredient is concentrated aqueous Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2)."

They would not say what else is in the product, but that "there are many different elements in the product that make it work it an aquarium."

I'm interested and checking with Maintenance people. I am posting to find out if anyone has used the product...pros and cons.
There are many artifical reefs in tanks, so they use something to keep them clean.

bertoni
10/22/2012, 06:25 PM
I haven't heard of the product before, so I can't help much.

RegalAngel
10/23/2012, 07:27 AM
Contacted Sealife, professional maintenance business in the San Francisco Bay Area out of San Jose.............

http://sealife-aquarium-ba.com/index.html

"We have used it in the past. It seemed to work slightly, but the cost did not warrant the product. I forgot the cost but it was high and you had to use a lot of it in ounces. Some fish, for example, cowfish seemed to stress."

Thanks,

Jeff

Doesn't sound like a great solution for those with artifical reefs to keep them clean of algae.
Checking with a local maintenance business on cost and will report findings.

RA