PDA

View Full Version : build or buy?

justhaag
10/21/2012, 04:51 PM
when it comes to these large tanks is it better to go to the store and just buy them or should i look into having them made/making them myself? also what material acrylic or glass?

peppie
10/21/2012, 05:24 PM
How large of a tank??
What is your budget?
Are you capable of building your own?
Glass or Acrylic ???? Personal preference IMO

justhaag
10/21/2012, 05:53 PM
im looking for something around 250-300 gallons and I have the ability to build my own. My budget is whatever i need to get the best quality but I dont want to spend tons if i dont need to.
what are the pros and cons of acrylic and glass?

peppie
10/21/2012, 07:54 PM
im looking for something around 250-300 gallons and I have the ability to build my own. My budget is whatever i need to get the best quality but I dont want to spend tons if i dont need to.
what are the pros and cons of acrylic and glass?

IMO At that size you can buy a Marineland DD at the LFS that will carry a warranty.

Glass will not scratch as easy.
Glass is heavier
Glass will not rtain heat as well
Glass depending on size of tank is cheaper

Acrylic is lighter
Acrylic will scratch much easier
Acrylic will hold more heat
Acrylic is easier to drill
Acrylic depending on size is more expensive

scolley
10/21/2012, 09:34 PM
One major cost factor is just getting the tank to you. On the west coast it's cheap (relatively speaking) to have a large tank delivered to you - glass or acrylic. But unless you can find one in a LFS, having a big tank sent to you in other parts of the country can be a MAJOR expense. And said expense is FAR larger if you buy glass.

I built a rimless glass 75g because shipping tanks of that size cost more than the tank. That said - having done that - I strongly recommend buy vs. build if you can afford the shipping. My next tank - a custom 180g acrylic - cost half of the tank cost to have it shipped to me. But had it been glass, it would have far exceeded the tank cost.

Some glass manufacturers like Glass Cages have delivery trucks that go to major US locations that may be near you - at little or no cost. But do your research on ANY manufacturer before purchasing.