PDA

View Full Version : "In tank" filter for nano

chaseg89
10/21/2012, 06:38 PM
So I think I have done away with the idea of getting a HOB overflow and getting a sump for my 9 gallon. Since my original plan was to keep things as simple as possible after hearing some other suggestions I just decided that adding a sump and plumbing would defeat that purpose. The stock filter will do for now, but I have read some about this tank from other people and it doesn't sound like it will hold up for the long term. I am now wondering if anybody has any suggestions for an in tank filter that is small, but powerful and will have room for adequate media? Fluval has a couple of "nano" in tank filters but I didn't know if anybody has any experience with them or any other good filters? Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

jgraz
10/21/2012, 07:06 PM
Why not a HOB filter. I would think a AC 20 would be perfect.

chaseg89
10/21/2012, 07:28 PM
Really the only reason for not doing a HOB filter is aesthetics, it is a rimless tank and I was trying to avoid having anything hanging on the rim. Otherwise the Aquaclear filters seem like they would be great. Just trying to see what some other options might be.

macktab
10/21/2012, 07:42 PM
Although I have no experience with it, the Eheim Aquacorner filter looks like it may be minimalist, fiting in the corner. It apears to be made for freshwater, but the flow rate seems good for your 8g and I would not use their biosubstrat balls+sponge - instead load it with chemipure elite and/or purigen.
http://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/technology/internal-filters/aquacorner

chaseg89
10/21/2012, 08:23 PM
That is actually the stock filter, which I plan on using right now until I find something else. I was planning on using it as the sole source of mechanical filtration, but I was reading some threads from other people who have this tank and they did not seem pleased long term with the Aquacorner. For now I think it will serve its purpose, but I was looking into other options just based on some of the things I have read about it.

macktab
10/21/2012, 08:36 PM
lol the stock filter! I have an 8g AIO - to me anything in the tank takes up too much real estate. I was curious about cadlights nr1 reactor, but its looks to big for a smaller nano. I had also thought about using an external reactor with a small enough extrnal pump. At least that would provide optimum contact for filter media.

chaseg89
10/21/2012, 09:09 PM
Yeah, part of me is thinking I might just have to suck it up and lose a little real estate in the tank but I figured I would see what options were out there first.

jgraz
10/24/2012, 05:24 AM
Really the only reason for not doing a HOB filter is aesthetics, it is a rimless tank and I was trying to avoid having anything hanging on the rim. Otherwise the Aquaclear filters seem like they would be great. Just trying to see what some other options might be.

Gotcha, you could go without a filter, just use WC's.