PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia and Alk spike, everything dying

Richs2k6
10/21/2012, 08:22 PM
On Thursday I checked my alk and calc and my alk was at 10.1 but I was reading most people liked to keep it between 8 and 9 so I adjusted my dosing pump so I could bring it down a tad.

On Friday morning I woke up and the tank was cloudy. Upon inspection I noticed the wavemaker was off so the only water circulating was that from the sump return. Also, I guess after adjusting the time on the dosing pump I forgot to turn it back on. I turned the wave makers back on and made a few manual doses throughout the day to make up for what didn't dose overnight.

On Friday afternoon when I got home I noticed the Red Planet was ghostly white. It had been struggling lately and on Friday morning it looked very pale but by Friday afternoon it was completely bleached.

I checked my alk and calc again and my alk was at 12.8. I was trying to figure out what could have happened so I thought well maybe when I was refilling the bottles on Thursday night I had accidentally switched them (topped the alk bottle off with calc and vice versa). I decided to empty both of the bottles and run water through the lines and then refill them. I also lowered the dose on the alk to get it back down.

Saturday it wasn't looking any better, actually worse. The alk is coming down but it seems like I am losing more. Everything looks sickly. I decided to check the ammonia, nitrates and nitrites and found them to be fine except for the ammonia which was extremely high (3.0-4.0ppm). The last time I checked the ammonia was a little less than a month ago because every time I do it's 0.

Another possible thought is I started feeding Marine Snow. The bottle says 2.5mil per 50 gallons. I probably only have 25-30 gallons of volume but I went with 2.5mil because it was such a small amount. Could this be causing the huge spike? I used to feed Oyster Feast with no issues.

I'm just pulling my hair out. The only other time I had an issue with my tank was when I went on vacation a few weeks ago and the dosing pumps apparently weren't working properly. When I got home the alk was 13.1 and calc was at 250. Even then it didn't do as much damage as now. The only other thing I can think of is the fact that I made the hood out of wood and it's beginning to fall apart. I stained it and sealed it but through moisture it's starting to separate. Could a small piece had fallen in and threw everything off?

I'm going to change 10 gallons tomorrow to see if I can get the ammonia down. Any suggestions on what may have caused it or what I can do to stop the death??

AZ_reefer
10/21/2012, 09:51 PM
You seem to have a lot of variables....eliminate them one by one. Sorry to hear about the frustration. Maybe some more info on your livestock....might help others chime in on the dosing requirements.

coralsnaked
10/22/2012, 07:58 AM
Yes water changes are always a priority in most any emergency. The ammonia though I really dont know the source is a big problem. This could be a result though of the dying inverts. But it looks like you had lots of swings in your H2O parameters causing multiple stressors on the reef system. Probably had some pH swings as well but I diodnt see any test results here. Would just proceed with the emergency water changes to see what can be salvaged.

bertoni
10/22/2012, 10:56 AM
I would do some 25% water changes and add some Amquel or Prime. The alkalinity level is safe enough, but the ammonia is very dangerous.

Richs2k6
10/22/2012, 08:33 PM
I change the carbon and gfo (it was time anyway) and changed 8 gallons. Alk, calc and mag are back to normal. It cut the ammonia in half to 2ppm and now I am showing nitrates at 5ppm. It almost seems like the tank is cycling again but I have no idea why. It looks like I'll end up losing all my SPS but hopefully the LPS and zoas will survive. Anything else I can do to speed up recovery? I was going to change another 8 gallons tomorrow but I won't be around to do it.

bertoni
10/22/2012, 09:47 PM
I suspect something killed an animal or two, and the resulting ammonia spike started a chain reaction. Some Prime or Amquel will neutralize the ammonia.

Richs2k6
10/22/2012, 10:34 PM
You're the first to mention Amquel or Prime. I'm surprised the LFS didn't mention it. I don't really have any livestock that could have died. I only have one clownfish and a small hermit. Do you think the batch of Kent Marine Snow could have been spoiled and that's what caused the problem? I've never had a problem with ammonia or nitrates since the tank cycled 8 months ago.

bertoni
10/23/2012, 01:42 AM
I doubt it's the Marine Snow. It wouldn't have enough protein in it to produce that much ammonia.

Mekanic
10/23/2012, 05:25 AM
I agree with Jonathan on all accounts.

I always have a bottle of amquel here in case of emergency.

Jstn
10/23/2012, 07:57 AM
amquel works wonders, its great for transportation of fish long distance and emergency NH3 spikes.