PDA

View Full Version : Chemipure,GFO,Carbon,Purigen?

HUNTER1
10/22/2012, 08:04 AM
Ok I only have 40g with no sump but have HOB fuge. I also run fluval canister with, chemipure, gfo and carbon in media chamber and now I read about how good is Purigen. Doing the best I can will Purigen be a great addtion to my media basket? thanks

Gagonzalez
10/22/2012, 08:56 AM
Chemipure is Carbon. No need to have both. I ran my Nano with ChemiPure Elite (Which is Carbon and GFO) and Purigen and it worked great. Only problem is that it would get exhausted in 2 weeks so I did a lot of media changes.

I now have a TLF 150 Reactor running BRS Rox Carbon and Phosban. Seems to be working well and much, much cheaper!!!

Ditch the Canister. Way to much Nitrates. I ran a Fluval and Algae was a mess even with GFO. If you keep the Canister, don't use any sponges or anything that will collect Detritus. That is what causes the Nitrates. And Clean the unit out every week MINIMUM!

Good Luck.

Palting
10/22/2012, 10:41 AM
I had a fluval for several years and used Chemipure, then chemipure elite later. Using carbon on top of that is redundant. Usually they last about a month. Never used Purigen, but reading up on it it seems to be a substitute for a skimmer, by taking out nitrogenous waste. Changes color as it gets exhausted, so seems like a good deal to me. If I were still using the fluval, I would put the purigen in the lowest basket to be the first filter in the water flow.

Didn't have to clean the whole unit weekly. Only rinsed the foam pads weekly, not the whole unit, and replaced the filter bags once every 4-6 weeks or so.

coralsnaked
10/22/2012, 10:47 AM
If anything I would substitute the Purigen for the carbon as the chemipure covers that angle for you

Merry Skerry

HUNTER1
10/22/2012, 10:58 AM
Ok, next time I service the canister I will lessen the carbon and put purigen with gfo and chemipure. Sounds like a good combo.
The canister is the only way I can run my media carbon/gfo/chemipure/Purigen. I don't have a sump to run reactors or any more room to HOB. I'm doing water change every week and cleaning the canister as well. I have one fish right now but will have four.