PDA

View Full Version : Signs of impending polt?

nmotz
10/22/2012, 08:35 AM
Just wondering if there are any tell-tale signs that a mantis is about to molt. For instance, my G. Chiragra is not remotely interested in the little feeder shrimp that swim all around him for some reason. In fact, he hasn't eaten anything (snails and hermit crabs in the tank too) in 11 days, and yet refuses to attack them even when they come right up to him. I've heard some mantis keepers say that they don't eat when they are about to molt. Any other signs that they will molt soon? This will be the first time my mantis has molted since I've had him. Anything to keep in mind? Other than leaving him alone of course.

Kharn
10/22/2012, 11:51 PM
This is a pritty good start might answer everything :)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=963909

P.S. top of this sub forum (sticky)

nmotz
10/23/2012, 10:46 PM
Yup, I think when he stopped eating it was a dead give away. He just molted last night. Never completely sealed his burrow, but he did dig deeper under some of the LR. He actually poked his head out before going back down into his cave. I can just make out the old shell by looking down into his burrow from above. Looks like he's survived, now I only have to wait 3 wks before he's ready to come out again. Boo. :/

TundraGuy
10/24/2012, 07:17 AM
Hey congrats on the molt.

nmotz
10/24/2012, 07:57 AM
Thanks, I knew it was coming and was fortunate enough to do a water change yesterday afternoon so he'll have optimal conditions to recover. I was concerned he might die because he's already full grown and is probably pretty old. Can't wait to get home today so I can check on him.

Gonodactylus
10/24/2012, 08:28 AM
Glad it worked out and the animal survived its molt. Most do. However, one word of caution. I would not advise major changes in water chemistry (including a partial water change) when you suspect that the animal is preparing to molt.

Roy

Jamiesheffield
10/24/2012, 10:18 AM
Good to know...I posted in the other molting mantis thread about my concerns for my G. Viridii being about to molt, and was considering a WC to ease things for him by improving the WQ.

Thanks Roy!

Jamie

Islandoftiki
10/24/2012, 07:00 PM
And it looks like my G. Viridis is going to molt. All of his cave entrances are walled off as of yesterday. This is probably the third or fourth time he's molted since I got him. I have someone watching my tanks for me over the next week. I'll have to let them know not to panic if they don't see him and he doesn't eat.

nmotz
10/25/2012, 05:14 AM
Glad it worked out and the animal survived its molt. Most do. However, one word of caution. I would not advise major changes in water chemistry (including a partial water change) when you suspect that the animal is preparing to molt.

Roy

Whoops....I mistakenly assumed that it was ok to do water changes just before the molt to ensure better water quality during the recovery period. I'll remember this for next time, thanks Roy.

Islandoftiki, yeah it was weird how all of a sudden he just wouldn't touch anything. He had been on a murderous rampage until exactly 11 days before he molted. He killed pretty much everything on sight until then, and afterwards wouldn't even attack small feeder shrimp that walked right up into his burrow.

I also find it strange that he never sealed his burrow. There's plenty of shells for him to bash up to block off the entrances. He did seal one of them, but it's open enough for me to see glimpses of him down in his burrow even now. Perhaps I should buy some more rock and smash it up into rubble so he can build a little more. His smashers look ok as far as I can tell, although they are much paler right now (almost white instead of pinkish/purple). Can't see him well enough to see if his primary colors have changed any.

Adetia
10/26/2012, 06:48 AM
I've actually had my Peacock molt a few times right after a water change. Like within an hour or 2 after. It was almost like the water change caused her to molt.

nmotz
10/26/2012, 06:56 AM
Ok, well that's good news. He seems to be doing ok. I can catch a glimpse of him every now and then in his burrow underneath a piece of LR and I've now confirmed that both of his raptorial appendages are ok. He doesn't appear to be missing any other limbs either. I've kept the lights off during the day so he isn't stressed out.

The only thing I'm concerned about now is the old molt skin. I can't exactly dig it out of there without him getting scared and trying to use his raps (if he does that, he'll ruin them at this point). I don't want his old shell fouling the water up but I guess I don't have a choice. I also don't want it to attract my hermit crabs or feeder shrimp in to his burrow so that he tries to whack them. I guess I just have to hope that doesn't happen?

TundraGuy
10/26/2012, 07:38 AM
Hey man chill on the worrying thing about the old molt. The mantis may eat it to get back some of the nutrients out of it. What he does not eat he will throughout into the open. From there you can remove it. As far as it fouling the water trust me on this killing a snail will pollute the tank way more than the old cast off molted shell ever could. I understand your concerns and its good you’re keeping up on the correct care of your pet. :thumbsup: