PDA

View Full Version : photoperiod 12g JBJ nano cube dX

Osteichthyes
10/22/2012, 08:05 PM
Hi guys,

I was wondering what would be an acceptable photoperiod for a 12G Nano cube DX on stock lighting? (2 24 watt bulbs)

Im planning on keeping zoas, mushrooms, xenia, button polyps, and GSP.

rkesling
10/22/2012, 11:35 PM
When I had mine set up with the stock bulbs I had them run for 10 hours a day. 8-10 I think is pretty normal.

I had (still have it, just not set up...yet) one of the older ones ... Have you done any mods to the tank at all? The best two that I did were:

skimmer box (looks like a half of a case for a cassette tape)

turn back center chamber into a fuge (I scraped/cut off the black backing just in the center chamber, added some chaeto and a small light on the back of the tank)

Osteichthyes
10/22/2012, 11:42 PM
Right now, I just upgraded the stock duckbill to a hydor flow rotating one. Also going to get a koralia nano 240 powerhead. I have a heater in the 3rd chamber, and liverock filling the second and first chamber right now. Other than that, all stock. About 20lbs of live rock in the tank with about 15 lbs of live sand.

Osteichthyes
10/22/2012, 11:44 PM
I've also upgraded the stock pump to a maxijet 900 for added flow.

rkesling
10/22/2012, 11:52 PM
sounds like you have a good start! Check around for the "skimmer box". Not sure what its really called. When I got mine it was just some guy making them out of his house then companies started making them. They are cheap and just fit over the intake, its really a surface skimmer.

Osteichthyes
10/22/2012, 11:56 PM
Oh! I've got that skimmer box too! Just got it actually, i'm not sure what it really does though. Are you just supposed to let it hang over the intake?? Also for the refugium you built in the back, is it possible to not cut out the black laminate and just attach an LED to the back to let the chaeto get some light?

rkesling
11/02/2012, 08:25 PM
Oh! I've got that skimmer box too! Just got it actually, i'm not sure what it really does though. Are you just supposed to let it hang over the intake?? Also for the refugium you built in the back, is it possible to not cut out the black laminate and just attach an LED to the back to let the chaeto get some light?

Yep, it just sits on the intake (at least the one I had did) It creates more of a surface skimmer effect versus a "true" skimmer. I would imagine that you could get some of the waterproof LEDs and put them in the back chamber. I would imagine today there are more options, I had mine set up about 5-6 years ago.