PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Pick A UV Sterilizer

krzyphsygy
10/22/2012, 11:44 PM
My tank is a 125 with a 40 gallon sump. There is about 114 gallons of water total system if I remember correctly. I would like some help on the size, flow rate, and bulb wattage. I am looking at the Aqua UV line and want to use this for various reasons.
I know that wattage needs to be strong to kill alot of the bad bacteria or what ever. I just really need this to be sized correctly. I know ther is alot of debate on these things, but dont really want to get into that.

Tank is a full reef mixed corals. Thnaks

swcc
10/23/2012, 06:32 AM
http://www.aquaultraviolet.com/products/uvsterilizers/classic/25watt

this one will do the job.

Dseg
10/23/2012, 09:55 AM
Check BRS, they have the best UVs

96p993
10/23/2012, 10:27 AM
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html

This is where I bought mine...great info and great products.

Marc
11/02/2012, 06:22 PM
An Aqua Ultraviolet 57 watt unit is your best bet. Don't get fooled by Emporer Aquatics as they use cheap ballasts and the flow required for these units to work are very low in the 200 gallon per hour range, while Aqua Ultraviolet will out perform at higher flow rates. Aqua Ulltraviolets don't leak like an Emporer Aquatic UV will.

aquaventions
11/07/2012, 06:19 PM
My tank is a 125 with a 40 gallon sump. There is about 114 gallons of water total system if I remember correctly. I would like some help on the size, flow rate, and bulb wattage. I am looking at the Aqua UV line and want to use this for various reasons.
I know that wattage needs to be strong to kill alot of the bad bacteria or what ever. I just really need this to be sized correctly. I know ther is alot of debate on these things, but dont really want to get into that.

Tank is a full reef mixed corals. Thnaks

Ideally you want to match it to your total system flow rate. Do you know what that is? How many times do you want to turn over the volume of water in your system in an hour or in a minute?

My system volume is 100 gallons at about a 15 gallon per minute flow rate. I use a Sterilight Platinum SP410-HO which is rated up to 18 gpm. It employs a 45 watt bulb and a stainless steel casing.

ReefShrink
11/07/2012, 09:22 PM
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html

This is where I bought mine...great info and great products.

^ Great info on this page!

I went with the emperor aquatics after much research. I haven't hooked it up yet, but I only found great reviews on it. Remember dwell time (exposure time to the UVC light) is the most important factor for effectiveness so you don't want the water rapidly flowing through the sterilizer.

krzyphsygy
11/08/2012, 10:28 AM
I believe I am doing about 575 GPH on the return pump. I am skeptical about hooking it up inline though and wondered if I could run it sump to sump?

The main reason I want a UV is to help control algea in the tank as for some reason, not sure why, I have a weird hair algea growing thats almost clear in color. Kinda light tan when I take it out of the tank. Also to follow what ever disease prevention method its good for. I know there is huge debate on this but I believe it could be good, I mean it couldnt hurt.
Phos is zero on 3 test kits Elos, Salifert, API
Nitrates Zero on 2 Test Kits Salifert and API

I think it has to do wih the Dry Marco Rock I used. There are weird things popping up on it but I am not sure.

ReefShrink
11/08/2012, 06:33 PM
The article in the previous link recommends direct return of the uv output into the display tank for best efficency, so perhaps a small pump that is within the recommended flow for the uv unit you settle on could be used for a seperate sump to main display? Don't forget to consider head loss with this option.