PDA

View Full Version : sol to vega any regrets

chuckbuc
10/23/2012, 05:10 AM
I've been torn on which to get the Vegas or the sols ,has anyone switched from the sols to the vega and regret it ,I read on multiple forums that the vega isn't as strong and doesn't penatrate as deep than the sols ,

Dseg
10/23/2012, 05:23 AM
Sols do penetrate deeper but the Vegas have other colors. I've read the disc effect is pretty bad along with the controller and firmware on the Vegas.

NaturalReef
10/23/2012, 05:31 AM
I had the sol blue and now have a AI Nano on my Elos mini. Unless you have a extremely deep tank, you will be fine. On my old bio cube 29 with the sol blue I never went above 50-60 percent for the fear of bleaching corals. The sol blue has a lot of reserve power that you may never need depending on your tank and corals kept. My corals from sps to lps to softies all thrived and grew with excellent colors at the 50-60 percent.

My nano which has the same led's(minus some colors) and lenses as the Vega is still very strong. I have mine set right now at 40 percent because I bleached a monti and plate coral on the sandbed. I want the vega for colors and spread, but it would ruin the look on my Elos, so I'm hoping they have a upgrade to color for the nano soon. The sol blue with the 40 and 70 degree lenses had a lot of punch, but not a lot of spread which to me made a difference so I didn't have too many shady spots. I also want the added colors of the vega to be able to warm up the tank a little more. But overall I'm thrilled with my AI nano and all my corals look great and are thriving.

The problem with led's is we don't know the sweet spot to prevent bleaching and photo inhibitions. Start slow and watch the corals closely, many don't bleach overnight but after a few days. I look at my plate coral as a early sign when they start to lose color the zooanth are bugging out and I need to lower the intensities. We give corals almost 100 percent of the blue spectrum they need and when they get too much of a good thing, corals start to decline with the photo inhibition... Led's are a guessing game with the variety of tanks we have, but once you find the sweet spot the corals thrive. This is all my opinion and what I have experienced using led's from 5 years. Sorry, more info than you wanted to hear, the coffee is kicking this morning...lol.

Nick

chuckbuc
10/23/2012, 07:02 AM
So sol blues come with 40 of 70 degree optics ?

38bill
10/23/2012, 10:08 AM
So sol blues come with 40 of 70 degree optics ?

They come half @ 40 degrees, half @ 70 degrees. As I remember it mine had the 70's on the ends.

reefer859
10/23/2012, 11:13 AM
The vegas are pretty cool. The controller shouldve just been built right into the unit. I am trying to stop the disco effect right now

MBSL55
10/23/2012, 12:38 PM
I switched over from Sols to Vegas and have been happy with them. Just got in a couple more for my QT system so I can use my QT for light acclimation too. Mine are pretty high up (I also ran my Sols pretty high up above the water line) and have not had an issue with the disco effect.

ETA: I did take PAR readings as well between the two and my Sols also had all 70 degree optics instead of the standard 70/40 degree optics. I found the Vega fixtures at 100% put out about as much PAR as my Sols at 80%. The extra power of the Sols was irrelevant to me as I am not running a deep tank (21" to sandbed from waterline) and I could not go above 80% on the Sols anyway without bleaching corals.

chuckbuc
10/25/2012, 04:50 AM
Everyone is saying sols for a deeper tank