PDA

View Full Version : Another "Which reef controller" thread

triggreef
10/23/2012, 06:01 AM
Sorry for this in advance as I see there are a ton of these threads already. But I have a fairly easy question that I can't seem to find a straight answer to.

My needs are very basic, since I've never used any of these controllers and I'm not looking for a ton of options here.

I only need it to control the lights, heater, and alternate a couple powerheads for me. I also am intrigued about getting an alarm via text message for temp control. That's all I need for now.

From what I'm gathering looking at the reef angel, apex, and RKL, none of these can do the text message alarm from the base model? Is that right?

If so which is the most cost effective option for my needs above? Also if it makes a difference I do have wifi at my house already.

James77
10/23/2012, 06:09 AM
Any of the Apex models can email out of box, and you can use that ability to text. You can setup an email text to your phone, like 401529xxxx@vtext.com for Verizon.

If you have a smart phone, you can use it to control your Alex junior over your wifi or even over a PC, and your phone would be the display since it lacks a display.

Rookieofsalt
10/23/2012, 06:18 AM
Since you are not looking to do a lot with the controller. Any controller with DC or EB8 can do the job.

You should do Apex JR. RKL only comes with 1 DC4. You need at least 8..

triggreef
10/23/2012, 06:28 AM
Yeah I have a smart phone so that should work. Also My lighting is DIY and has potentiometers so from what I gather I cant use the controller for dimming only on/off. I would be ok with 4 outlets I think one for the lighting, 2 for powerheads, one heater. I keep the moonlighting on constant, no need for that to turn off.

Thanks for quick responses!

NaturalReef
10/23/2012, 06:53 AM
Hands down Apex jr. I have owned the reef keeper and while it worked fine, I lost some fish and corals from my tank overheating due to ambient temps. I would have been able to save them with an email alarm sent by my apex and could have logged on via smartphone and alerted a family member to intervene.

Apex was built ground up for wireless control and has endless possibilities and easy to understand programming. My favorite auto top off system to date consists of DA float switch kit and the apex jr with breakaway box. My top off reservoir has a float to shut off the top off pump if the reservoir dries up and the tank side has two floats one to fill up and one to prevent overfilling. Just my opinion

NaturalReef
10/23/2012, 06:55 AM
Double post

moondoggy4
10/23/2012, 11:22 AM
Are you tech savvy? Do you understand basic programming? I am not I have three different controllers.

treetopflyn
10/23/2012, 11:33 AM
Just got my reef angel and I LOVE it. It's less expensive and can be programmed to do just about anything you want.

gcirkel
10/23/2012, 11:48 AM
+1 for the reef angel....

Dave Thebrewguy
10/23/2012, 04:16 PM
+1 for the reef angel....

+2
No programming required, everything you asked for is already set up on the basic unit. Just plug it in and set the times and temp right on the controller's display/joystick. Internet and smartphone control will require the net module and you'll need some sort of mount for the (included) float switches to use the ATO.
The advantage of going with the RA is that you'll never outgrow it. It is just as expandable as the full Apex but a lot less expensive.

ScootsComputes
10/23/2012, 06:13 PM
+4 Reef Angel

Patrick Cox
10/23/2012, 07:16 PM
Question on RA. Can you access the controls from the internet? Also, can you get email or text alerts of problems? I am in the market for a controller as well. I was thinking APEX was really the best way to go for a reliable system but I had not heard of RA and don't know much about it. There website is OK but not the best.

Thanks!

treetopflyn
10/23/2012, 07:25 PM
Question on RA. Can you access the controls from the internet? Also, can you get email or text alerts of problems? I am in the market for a controller as well. I was thinking APEX was really the best way to go for a reliable system but I had not heard of RA and don't know much about it. There website is OK but not the best.

Thanks!

Yes everything is controllable by the web via smart phone or web browser if you purchase the wifi adapter. You can do anything you can do with an APEX and more because ,unlike and Apex, the RA can be programmed to do just about anything you want. Their support on their forum is outstanding by other RA owners and Roberto.

Patrick Cox
10/23/2012, 07:32 PM
Yes everything is controllable by the web via smart phone or web browser if you purchase the wifi adapter. You can do anything you can do with an APEX and more because ,unlike and Apex, the RA can be programmed to do just about anything you want. Their support on their forum is outstanding by other RA owners and Roberto.

Thanks! I will give this a closer look!

treetopflyn
10/23/2012, 07:47 PM
You won't be disappointed. I did a lot research before I decided on the RA. Even though I have no plans on programming anything it's nice 2 know I can if I ever find the need to do so.

triggreef
10/25/2012, 01:22 AM
Just got my reef angel and I LOVE it. It's less expensive and can be programmed to do just about anything you want.

I'm looking on the reef angel site it is 219, and I cant even use the dimming feature. Apex is 149. Am I missing something about the price? Or maybe you mean adding on other tasks in the future is cheaper?

treetopflyn
10/25/2012, 04:55 AM
For $149 that is the apex jr and you don't get PH probe, ATO floats switches and only 4 outlets. Add up all the things that come with the basic reef angel then add up the Apex with all the same stuff (Controller, PH probe, Floats, 4 plug energy bar) and you will see the RA cheaper. PLUS it's programmable to do ANYTHING your heart desires the Apex is not

ale2539
10/25/2012, 08:30 AM
I love the apex.

Tank Girl
10/25/2012, 09:34 AM
Apex all the way. Support is outstanding, Apex is easy to program and does anything my heart desires:)

cgh38
10/25/2012, 12:50 PM
Another vote for Apex, got the full version and I'm loving it.

Patrick Cox
10/25/2012, 01:00 PM
Wow, the RA crowd came out strong first and now the Apex crowd is out! Now confusion sets in as usual! Too many decisions to make.

treetopflyn
10/25/2012, 06:50 PM
You can 't go wrong and Apex or a RA. Both are great controllers. The only difference is with the RA you will have more $$ in your pocket and you can program it to do anything your can dream up if you chose.

James77
10/25/2012, 07:26 PM
Yes they are both great. Reef Angel still lacks Tunze control as far as I can tell? Yes, you can program more with a Reef Angel....but I have never found a controlling need in 8 years that the Neptune products have not come through on.

symon_say
10/25/2012, 07:55 PM
Yes they are both great. Reef Angel still lacks Tunze control as far as I can tell? Yes, you can program more with a Reef Angel....but I have never found a controlling need in 8 years that the Neptune products have not come through on.

Another vote for Reef Angel, and RA can control tunze you just need an aditional cable to control tunze.

Dave Thebrewguy
10/25/2012, 08:02 PM
I'm looking on the reef angel site it is 219, and I cant even use the dimming feature. Apex is 149. Am I missing something about the price? Or maybe you mean adding on other tasks in the future is cheaper?
You're looking at the wrong Apex, the full version is closer to the RA than the Jr is. The Jr has the basic functions, 4 outlets, a temp probe and wi-fi, but upgrades are expensive and you can only add so much before the unit is maxxed out. In addition to the lighting control, the RA also adds a pH probe, ATO (comes with float switches, no break-out box needed) more outlets and you can add up to 50 (IIRC) expansion modules.

Reef Angel will control Tunze pumps. You'll need the analog version of the relay box or an analog expansion module. Programing is still in the works, there is code available for basic functions and there are a few people working on more advanced versions. Check the RA forum and search "tunze control" for more details.

James77
10/25/2012, 08:16 PM
Angel, and RA can control tunze you just need an aditional cable to control tunze.

Reef Angel will control Tunze pumps. You'll need the analog version of the relay box or an analog expansion module. Programing is still in the works, there is code available for basic functions and there are a few people working on more advanced versions. Check the RA forum and search "tunze control" for more details.

Good to know, last I had looked into it, it was not really possible. Needing another cable is a non-issue, the Apex needs one as well.

No experience with teh Reef Angel here as of yet, though I'd definitely give it a shot at this point. I do like the low prices on their power strips and dosers.

On the 8 outlet power bar, what is the configuration and capabilites? Are these all relays or a mix of Triacs as well?

symon_say
10/26/2012, 07:42 AM
They are all relay and can be used to control anything, i'll be getting a 2nd relay box to be able to control everything in my tank from the controller.

RA is a bit tricky to change things, cause you need to code it, but the community and Roberto itself are great, i have never had any experience programming or doing anything like this i have been able to do everything i want with my controller and more, i'm sure the other brands of controller are capable of doing it, but for the price and how easy is the access to support is a no brainer for me, if i have to chose a controller again i chose RA.

Another plus at least for now is that if you need an expansion and is not available you can ask Roberto, if there are several people that want it, he might build it, if not he might help you build it.

treetopflyn
10/26/2012, 07:48 AM
i'm sure the other brands of controller are capable of doing iti

That's the difference with the RA and the other controllers. with the other controllers you are limited to what the manufacture programs into the controller. With the RA you can change EVERYTHING. You are only limited by your imagination

symon_say
10/27/2012, 07:36 AM
Or your skills, ja ja ja