PDA

View Full Version : Hanna PO4 checker question.

Setragni
10/23/2012, 07:58 PM
Hi,
I got my hanna phosphate checker in the mail today and was disappointed with the test results.
I did 4 tests and the results were:
1: 0.06
2: 0.00
3: 0.00
4: 0.05

I did the exact same thing on all 4 tests

Anyone know what is going on?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setragni
10/24/2012, 06:14 AM
Tests 5 and 6 read 0. This time i am sure there were no finger prints or micro bubbles.

ghostman
10/24/2012, 08:08 AM
The checker does have an accuracy of +/- 0.04 so your readings are not too out of the ballpark. Obviously the lower you go, the error seems magnified. A little PO4 in the water is OK and necessary for coral health, so I think you are in good shape and have good water. As you use the checker more, you may get more consistent results. As you mentioned, no fingerprints or micro bubbles. Wash the cuvets in RO water after testing. I like to use only a single cuvet to avoid differences. I also have the cuvet positioned in the same orientation between C1 and C2, usually I have the 10ml mark facing forward. HTH

MBSL55
10/24/2012, 08:19 AM
I will also get higher readings around 0.02 and 0.03 if I test immediately after mixing in the reagent or if I haven't cleaned off the test tubes well. Like you noted, wait for the microbubbles to go away, clean the the test tube, make sure the reagent is fully dissolved, etc. and you should get more consistent results.

jerpa
10/24/2012, 08:29 AM
As stated the results are within the range of the stated accuracy. The 736 phosphorous checker is supposed to be slightly more accurate if it irks you too much. It has a claimed accuracy of +/- .012.

mc-cro
10/24/2012, 12:56 PM
yup, it varries, but it is within expectations of accuracy.

If your po4 was .04, the meter could read 0.0, or it could read .08, and be within range.

based on your results, keep doing what your doing, your tank is fine.

reeksreef
10/24/2012, 01:12 PM
So to make sure you get accurate results the regiment needs to be fully dissolved? I rush mines into the checker to avoid the 2 min delay and some still floats around.

mc-cro
10/24/2012, 01:18 PM
I dont wait until its all dissolved. I swirl it for about 15-20 seconds. try not to get too many microbubbles then put it in the checker. (the 10ml always goes to the same spot like someone mentioned). the 3 min delay is to allow the bubbles and left over powder to dissolve

ska d
10/24/2012, 01:18 PM
Does anyone have a good tip for getting all the reagent into that little hole without spilling or leaving some in that little "wet nap" package. Another thing I've noticed is that in the instructions it says to shake it up for approximately 2min. But the unit will also shut down after sitting idol for 2 min. Ive had to restart the test a couple of times due to machine turning off. I've gotten fed up 1 or twice and just filled up 2 cuvets just in case even though instructions say to use same one. Or am I missing something

Setragni
10/24/2012, 02:50 PM
Thanks for all the info. Yes im pretty sure i have some PO4 as i have to clean the glass every 4 days. Im still trying to figure out why my sps colors are not that great tho.

outssider
10/24/2012, 06:59 PM
Does anyone have a good tip for getting all the reagent into that little hole without spilling or leaving some in that little "wet nap" package. Another thing I've noticed is that in the instructions it says to shake it up for approximately 2min. But the unit will also shut down after sitting idol for 2 min. Ive had to restart the test a couple of times due to machine turning off. I've gotten fed up 1 or twice and just filled up 2 cuvets just in case even though instructions say to use same one. Or am I missing something

"your missing something"

you can get an extra 3 minutes by pressing and holding the button down after C2.

actually you have a bit more than 2 minutes before it shuts down anyway.

1. play with the reagent package to get the material into one corner.
2. cut the reagent pack diagonally
3. open the half with the reagent way up, when you pour it, don't use the seam.
set the reagent aside.
4. get your water sample
5. put the sample in the meter
6. press for C1, meter will read the sample
7. as soon as it reads C2 remove the vial "quickly" and put the reagent in the vial. close the cap and gently shack the vial (you have about 2.5 minutes so you can easily shack for 2 minutes)

8. when you have shaken for 2 minutes press the button on the meter in and hold it. the meter will now count down 3 minutes.
9. wipe your finger prints off the vial and place in the meter.(preferably in the same orientation as before)

the meter will count down and after the 3 minutes you will have your reading.

look on you-tube, hanna has a video similar to what i've described.

using the timer, you actually have 5.5 minutes.

ska d
10/25/2012, 06:48 AM
"your missing something"

you can get an extra 3 minutes by pressing and holding the button down after C2.

actually you have a bit more than 2 minutes before it shuts down anyway.

1. play with the reagent package to get the material into one corner.
2. cut the reagent pack diagonally
3. open the half with the reagent way up, when you pour it, don't use the seam.
set the reagent aside.
4. get your water sample
5. put the sample in the meter
6. press for C1, meter will read the sample
7. as soon as it reads C2 remove the vial "quickly" and put the reagent in the vial. close the cap and gently shack the vial (you have about 2.5 minutes so you can easily shack for 2 minutes)

8. when you have shaken for 2 minutes press the button on the meter in and hold it. the meter will now count down 3 minutes.
9. wipe your finger prints off the vial and place in the meter.(preferably in the same orientation as before)

the meter will count down and after the 3 minutes you will have your reading.

look on you-tube, hanna has a video similar to what i've described.

using the timer, you actually have 5.5 minutes.

thanks for the tip and link. i guess alittle practice will make a difference. im already getting better at the process.

tkeracer619
10/25/2012, 07:35 PM
If you feed your tank you will have plenty of phosphate. Real Reefs typically see .005 ppm. A 736 checker would have been better but as long as you hone in your testing your current checker is just fine. Use a syringe to measure water amount, the line isn't correct.

mrbigshot
10/25/2012, 07:42 PM
to get all the powder in there go to the beer store and ask for a flask funnel. it fits perfect and is wide enough you get it all in without waisting any. usually you get them for free and I don't think I've ever seen them for more than $3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2