PDA

View Full Version : Acros on Maricultured Plugs

Red_Blenny
10/23/2012, 10:28 PM
I bought a few maricultured acros and the plugs they come attached to have some nuisance algae on them (gelidium/bubble algae/dictyota/etc). I tried to break off some of the plugs they come in but they're quite dense...

I was wondering what do you guys do about the acros on the maricultured plugs?

Dexters Reef
10/23/2012, 10:37 PM
Hydrogen peroxide application directly to the plug, but do not get any on the coral itself.

Use a paintbrush or eye dropper or anything really to apply it precisely to the frag plug. Get the algae nice and wet from the hydrogen peroxide and for good measure, coat the rest of the plug nicely. Sometimes algae is spreading but is still too small to see. Avoid letting the peroxide touch any part of the coral.

leave out of water for 3 minutes

Reapply a few drops more hydrogen peroxide to algae

Let sit 2-3 minutes more

Place directly back in tank.

Algae will die in 2-4 days

If any remains after 4 days, repeat process

93Foxstang
10/24/2012, 10:31 AM
Get some coral snips frag it off and remount it to your rock with epoxy or super glue

Arkayology
10/24/2012, 10:37 AM
Peroxide will work as well as using bone cutters to cut the coral off the plug if you want to be 100% sure of no unwanted algae.

All Delight
10/24/2012, 10:50 AM
I like to cut the base off any acro I get because pests like aefw like to hide and lay eggs on/near/around the base. I don't care how well encrusted it is or what, I know my tank conditions are good that it will encrust again. Sure it'll take a few weeks, but small price to pay to lessen my risk. I still dip cause pests can be elsewhere.

And yes this would completely avoid any algae too.

Soy
10/24/2012, 02:27 PM
best to cut off rock since pests are a bigger worry than algae. aefw will lay eggs on rocks and on small dead spots which could be extremely difficult to find in a dense mini colony. eggs is what you have to worry about when buying maricultured acros

Red_Blenny
10/24/2012, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the response everyone. I decided to frag the acros off the maricultured plugs. I felt guilty about leaving the encrusted part on the plug but its better than having AEFW eggs or nuisance algae.