PDA

View Full Version : 1st Major Disaster

Windirmere
10/24/2012, 02:21 AM
So my cat stepped on the power car that has my DIY Rapid led drivers plugged in, I only noticed after lights out the cat came into the room heard a click and then the LEDS attached to the driver that powers the White Led's flicked. After turning the power bar back on and switching my timer on ON mode only the driver with the Blue portion of the led's worked. I have alot of Sps corals and a clam and a bubble tip anem. Im in a bit of a panic and dont know what i should do. Should i order a new driver and leds or just a driver : \ im guessing my dimmer works if the blues still come on, How long can corals last with just blue led's, My fish hate when just the blues are on and act crazy.

Windirmere
10/24/2012, 04:05 AM
double post

Windirmere
10/24/2012, 04:10 AM
Hmm meant to put this in Lighting and equipment section.
So if rapid led can express ship all i think i would need is a drivers and led's if they are burnt out. This would be about 100 bucks + shipping. I have also been planning to upgrade to a 65 gallon in about a year so was thinking about purchasing Ecotech Marine Radion XR30w LED unit. Would that be enough for a Sps dominated 65gal with the right optics? The other option I liked the look of and the price of was the Aquaillumination Sol Super Blue LED Module Light System for now i would just get one, but when I upgraded the tank from my biocube I think i would add another unit. In this pinch what would you do :S hope to hear from anyone

Psionicdragon
10/24/2012, 04:20 AM
your corals will be fine for a few days without LED. just make sure to reacclimiate them to the light when you replace it.

Windirmere
10/24/2012, 05:48 AM
Should i run just the blues dimmed down for a few hours a day? untill i get the replacment? Im trying to figure out the difference from the AI Sol and Vega @.@

Dave Thebrewguy
10/24/2012, 09:11 AM
Run the blues as normal, the fish will think it overcast for a couple days. I don't think its very likely that your driver or emitters are damaged, more likely a wire was yanked hard enough to damage a connection. I'd do some troubleshooting before ordering parts.

Windirmere
10/24/2012, 11:05 AM
Well! just as i was disconnecting everything to get to the led's to use the tester i noticed one of the small power wire's solder was broken. So i guess the cat some how yanked on it as it walked past to step on the power bar @.@ or just crazy coincidence, Or i have gremlins :S. Curse you small ledge behind the tank where the cat can lurk, up next diy cat fence...

r-balljunkie
10/25/2012, 01:50 AM
not even close to a real disaster. 2" of standing water in your living room = disaster. small fire = disaster. tank crash = disaster. meh, at best minor inconvenience

hllywd
10/25/2012, 08:01 AM
Gta agree with r, if that's a disaster you better get out now! Glad everything worked out.

bigfoot610
10/25/2012, 10:30 PM
Well! just as i was disconnecting everything to get to the led's to use the tester i noticed one of the small power wire's solder was broken. So i guess the cat some how yanked on it as it walked past to step on the power bar @.@ or just crazy coincidence, Or i have gremlins :S. Curse you small ledge behind the tank where the cat can lurk, up next diy cat fence...

thats easy crumple up some heavy duty aluminm foil and then kinda flatten it but make sure it has little points in it still cats dont like walking on it at all lol