PDA

View Full Version : Pump Question

mylifeismyown66
10/25/2012, 09:10 PM
I just bought 2 "TUNZE TURBELLE NANOSTREAM PUMP 6025 (NEW GENERATION WITH TITANIUM ALLOY SHAFT)" for my 40 breeder frag setup. I run them on a red sea wavemaker that turns them off and on, but they make such a loud clicking noise when they turn on. Is this something I should be concerned about? I used to run koralia evo's on my display tank with a wavemaker before I upgraded and they didnt make any noise when they turned on.

Craig Borowski
10/26/2012, 08:29 AM
The 6025 is a non-controllable pump and should not be run on a wavemaker. Turning it on and off frequently like that will damage the pump and void the warranty. Instead you should try aiming the pumps so that their streams meet together somewhere in the middle of the tank. Where the two streams collide they will create random flow.

mylifeismyown66
10/26/2012, 09:42 AM
Oh really. I figured for what they were and the cost I could at least run them on a timer based wave maker. Ill keep that in mind when I purchase some new pumps.

rvitko
10/29/2012, 08:26 AM
There is what other manufacturers claim and then there is reality. The reality is that no non electronic controllable propeller pump will last long term on a wavemaker. An impeller pump like a maxijet will work simply because regardless of impeller direction the pump will displace water forward. A prop pump only works if the prop spins the correct direction so it must have a stop. Some other manufacturers use a soft rubber stop so you don't have noise, but wait 6-12 months and let me know if they still work, if you do the research you will see there is no way around this, you can get less noise for sure, but this is a road to frustration, numerous part replacements and pumps spinning backwards. If you want to truly control the pumps, you need low voltage DC controllable pumps and a compatible controller so a computer assists the start in the right direction with no impact. My advice is either take whatever brand AC prop pump you are using off the wavemaker, a simple timer with long intervals of 15+ minutes is fine though you might get noise with each start, or spring for a DC controllable model and suitable controller. You can take my advice or leave it, but if you pour over all the threads about competing pumps you will see I am correct and not have to learn it the hard way.

mylifeismyown66
10/29/2012, 04:06 PM
I took them off the wave maker as soon as I got the 1st response and just run them opposite each other. This is just for the frag tank in my basement and wanted to try out Tunze for the first time. I dont mind the noise being the tank is in the basement, I was just worried if that was an issue and I guess it is going on and off so much. I did use koralias for a while in my display until I got a set of vortechs, but wanted to do my frag setup a bit lower budget. I do appreciate the responses though and will continue to not use the wavemaker for these pumps.