PDA

View Full Version : Marine ich on blue tang...

Charley Diesing
10/26/2012, 12:32 PM
Well after not having fish in my tank going through fallow period twice(10 weeks each time)... 6 weeks of QT for fish...

My blue tang came down with ICH in the display tank. I'm aware tangs in general are highly susceptible to ICH. and I decided I am going to get him out of there. and try fish that are very hardy and can handle a lot of abuse.

I understand that long term having ICH in your aquarium could be disastrous, but I decided I don't care at this point. Also I will be leaving for school in less than a year. And I don't really have the time or patience to go through the 10 week fallow, again...

My question... Are there fish that are not Ich proned and possibly do better in a Ich invested aquarium? My thoughts are maybe a few yellow tail damsels and a tail-spot damsel. Let me know your thoughts..

Thanks,

Charley

jay2525
10/26/2012, 12:54 PM
Been there done that! Lol......I have had really good luck with many wrassss and triggers also gobies of many types seem to be much less prone and resistant.

sponger0
10/26/2012, 12:55 PM
No. Quarantine and treat. No fish is a guarantee to fight off ich. Run your tank fallow.

And you dont just all of a sudden get ich. Somehow it was transferred into your tank.

Damsels can be affected and die from ich like any other fish.

Charley Diesing
10/26/2012, 01:07 PM
No. Quarantine and treat. No fish is a guarantee to fight off ich. Run your tank fallow.

And you dont just all of a sudden get ich. Somehow it was transferred into your tank.

Damsels can be affected and die from ich like any other fish.

I'm aware. I've gone fallow twice. And I am not willing to do it again. If it means buying cheap damsels. I'm going to do it. This hobby is for my enjoyment and currently I am not getting any out of not having any types of fish for weeks on end. I'm sick of it. And I am done.

sponger0
10/26/2012, 01:08 PM
Then you can plan on continuing to lose fish to be honest.

This is part of the hobby. Did you just quarantine the tang? How did you treat it? Did you treat it both times?

Charley Diesing
10/26/2012, 01:16 PM
Then you can plan on continuing to lose fish to be honest.

This is part of the hobby. Did you just quarantine the tang? How did you treat it? Did you treat it both times?

Yes I quarantined the tang for 6 weeks. 4 weeks of copper @ .35-.4 and That was the most recent time and the tank had been fallow for about 11 weeks. Before he went in. I also did 1 week of PrazioPro.

All of my corals and inverts float for 20 min. Then put in half in half water. Than I put them in 100% my water with CoralRx dip for 10 min. Then I rinse in my water. Than I put in my tank.

I'm frustrated. I decided I'm going with damsels one last time. And if they die. I am done with the hobby. I've had enough.

sponger0
10/26/2012, 01:20 PM
Prazipro doesnt do anything against ick. Secondly, you should treat 4 weeks with copper and 4 weeks observation to verify it is gone. And some tangs should be quarantined for months not just weeks

Im sorry you are frustrated but you are prolly going to lose damsels too.

They have no natural resistance to ich. So youll just be sentencing them to death.

Charley Diesing
10/26/2012, 02:04 PM
Prazipro doesnt do anything against ick. Secondly, you should treat 4 weeks with copper and 4 weeks observation to verify it is gone. And some tangs should be quarantined for months not just weeks

Im sorry you are frustrated but you are prolly going to lose damsels too.

They have no natural resistance to ich. So youll just be sentencing them to death.

Yes I am aware Prazi-Pro is not for Ich. And life's to short. I'm living on the edge. Wish me luck.

sponger0
10/26/2012, 02:10 PM
Actually I wont. You are chosing to do what you want, beyond the usual recommendations for dealing with ich problem. You are chosing to just throw fish into a tank hoping they can fight off ich. I cannot and will not be ok with this.

Youre using prazi pro for something it wont be effective for.

And all cause youre fustrated. I dont see you lasting much longer with a saltwater tank honestly.

pinnatus
10/26/2012, 02:14 PM
You'll be fine. Damsels are very hardy especially after they are established, and unless your water is really bad, then they will lose any ich symptoms quickly if they ever show any. I will say also that damsels are annoying, they constantly bicker and defend their perceived territory, and will annoy other fish to death, and even attack you when your hands are in the tank.

Almost any other fish you pick will be more resistant to ich than a tang; they are highly susceptible.

OP has taken extraordinary precautions to try to keep his tank ich free, and apparently failed. I have always felt that having an ich free tank is desireable, but very difficult to accomplish in practice. OP wishes to get fish that are less susceptible to ich. I believe that will be fine. Yes there is a chance that the fish may get sick, but if they choose a damsel, then odds are the fish will survive and even thrive despite having ich in the tank.

Charley Diesing
10/26/2012, 02:20 PM
You'll be fine. Damsels are very hardy especially after they are established, and unless your water is really bad, then they will lose any ich symptoms quickly if they ever show any. I will say also that damsels are annoying, they constantly bicker and defend their perceived territory, and will annoy other fish to death, and even attack you when your hands are in the tank.

Almost any other fish you pick will be more resistant to ich than a tang; they are highly susceptible.

Also I'm aware the tang was a bad choice he was 3/4'' when I got him 6 months ago now he's about 2" I plant on taking him back to the LFS.

I just need something that's colorful that moves my main interest is Corals and Inverts. My water quality is near perfect. I perform weekly 15% water-changes. I have a over-sized skimmer. And I have 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates.

If anyone has had experience with other hardy fish that tend to be more resistant. Please comment below :-)

Curious George
10/26/2012, 02:22 PM
Considered a UV sterlizer? Maybe an 8 watter hob, running water slowwwwly through it? This would, at the very least, give the damsels a chance. Damsels are pretty tough. I've lost fish to ich and had blue damsels, 3 stripes, and dominos make it through ok. I do believe that immunities are built up with time.

Step up the water changes and pull the water out by siphoning the top of the gravel early in the morning once a week. Feed well, not often, well and get the fish healthy.

Sucks though. I hear ya on the frustration thing. Even the most experienced hobbyists have wondered where they went wrong after taking all precautions only to have ich decimate their tank. You're just trying to enjoy a small tank, sick of the worry and stress of disease. Completely normal reaction to loss of multiple fish when taking known preventative measures.

Good luck.

Curious George
10/26/2012, 02:25 PM
Oh and to answer your other question, I believe cardinal fish, damsels, and basslets are pretty tough when it comes to ich. Eels are resistent. You could do a golden dwarf moray depending on the inverts you have.

OSTguy
10/26/2012, 02:42 PM
I added a large blue hippo tang and naso tang to my tank recently and the blue tang was covered in ich the next day. I have a bunch of fish in my FOWLR tank and they don't show any signs of ich. The tang came from clean tanks of other reef/saltwater keepers and was spotless when it went in my tank. I treated the whole tank with copper. Just to get it fixed. Literally, the fish looked like it was dipped on a salty table, but it is looking better now 5 days later. Other fish in the tank that didn't and still don't show signs of ich are:
clown tang
naso tang
powder blue tang
yellow tang
emperor angel
blueface angel
majestic angel
clown trigger
undulated trigger

And that is why I never got into reef tanks and have stuck to FOWLR.

Charley Diesing
10/26/2012, 02:44 PM
Oh and to answer your other question, I believe cardinal fish, damsels, and basslets are pretty tough when it comes to ich. Eels are resistent. You could do a golden dwarf moray depending on the inverts you have.

Yeah I think I might also try a Royal Gramma or Chalk bass.

We'll see. For starters I'm just gonna grab 1-2 yellow tail damsels, and maybe a talspot damsel.