PDA

View Full Version : Live rock hitch hikers

izpowell
10/26/2012, 09:52 PM
i recently just bought some live rock that had some bristle worm hitch hikers. I have read that they can be beneficial, but others say no.

What should i do?

try to get rid of them? or keep them?

Overlook reef
10/26/2012, 09:57 PM
If they are bristle worms and not fire worms, I would keep them. They are a great part of the CUC. Just make sure you use gloves when moving rocks in your tank!

hollister
10/26/2012, 10:07 PM
I agree , just another reason to wear gloves whene hands in the tank.

MinnFish
10/26/2012, 10:21 PM
I agree with hollister. I always wear gloves (elbow length). I work with too many oils and harsh chemicals at work. Too risky.

ebacon
10/26/2012, 10:54 PM
Bristles are good, fires and bristles really ate no different until they get bug enough to eat your fish... That said, if I were you I would sun dry my rock for a couple days before adding it. Hitch hikers can be interesting and cool, but after doing this for over 10 years I've learned more often than not that 99 percent of the hit hikers you get are pests and problems, including worms, starfish, mannish shrimp, a d a variety of parasites and other coral eating and disease carrying critters. I am sure there are those that would disagree and my opinion is just that my opinion, but its also a very experienced opinion. So hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes. So sun dry or boil your rock before you put it in.