PDA

View Full Version : Phosphate Level Issues

herhuskalusk
10/27/2012, 06:01 AM
I set-up a 20L tank about a month ago, and it finished cycling 2 weeks ago. I measured my phosphate levels and it came out to 0.64, which I've read is higher than it should be. I used RO/DI water so I'm guessing the phosphates may have leached out of the base rock I used with live rock to cycle my tank.

I haven't had any algae problems yet, besides the initial diatom bloom. My question is will these high phosphates be a major issue for me in the future and is it worth investing in a GFO reactor or some other method of reducing the phosphates. Also, which type would you recommend?

sponger0
10/27/2012, 06:08 AM
.64 will almost guarantee a algae issue. Ways to control it, skimming, less feeding, water changes and using a reactor. Ive used XtraPhosX and always had good results.

Have you tests phos on your RO/DI water?

herhuskalusk
10/27/2012, 06:29 AM
I did a google search for XtraPhosX, and didn't get any results. Is that a type of media?

Phosphate reading came out to 0 on my RO/DI water.

It is strange because my test kit measured 0.64 phosphates before I had even added any livestock to the system, or done any feeding. So, overfeeding isn't the issue here. I'm using a RedSea test kit, which I heard is fairly accurate. I'll do a water change this weekend, and look into getting a reactor to get my reading lower...

herhuskalusk
10/27/2012, 06:31 AM
Oh, and I am running skimmerless. I was hoping because it was a smaller sized tank I could keep nitrates, etc. in check through water changes. I've also heard mixed reviews about a lot of the hang-on the back skimmers anyways, and didn't think it was worth the investment.

sponger0
10/27/2012, 06:37 AM
I have a reef octopus bh1000. It is a beast. Works very well.

Now here's the big question, what kind of phosphate test are you using?

herhuskalusk
10/27/2012, 06:49 AM
Its a RedSea test. This one:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Red_Sea_Phosphate_PO4_Pro_Test_Kit_100_Tests_Phosphate_Test_Kits_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-Red_Sea-RS21425-FITKPT-vi.html

Is that skimmer HOB? I can't use a sump...

sponger0
10/27/2012, 06:52 AM
Yes its an hob skimmer. Google it.

The RedSea Pro kits are accurate enough.