PDA

View Full Version : Catching a fish?

crumbs217
10/27/2012, 02:25 PM
I'm trying to catch my purple tang without destroying my entire tank. Does anyone have any suggestions I should try or perhaps a fish trap that I could borrow?

Thank you.

rick rottet
10/27/2012, 11:04 PM
dont have a trap. i usually just drain the tank down until they swim on their sides, then scoop them up in the net.

a couple of other things i have heard talked about but never tried...

a 2 liter clear plastic bottle. trim off the mouth until it is big enough for your fish to fit into. submerge the bottle (the clear plastic kind of disappears underwater) and squirt some food into the mouth of the bottle. hopefully the fish swims in there to get the food and you remove the bottle with the fish inside.

if you cut out the lights unexpectedly, the fish will freeze in place for a couple of seconds, during which time you can grab them. since it is a tang, you might want to use a net ha.

good luck.

sushimi
10/28/2012, 08:29 AM
In the past I've used a piece of glass or acrilyc as a wall in the tank to confine the fish to a smaller area. Worked pretty well.

crumbs217
10/28/2012, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm gonna try to rig up a clear bottle trap or something. We shall see!