PDA

View Full Version : ATS vs. Phosphate reactor

shifty99
10/27/2012, 02:35 PM
Which is better for removal of phosphates and nitrates? I have room to add 1 of these after a huge battle with hair algae. I will continue to run my skimmer as well. Was set to buy the reactor until I found lots of good things about the scrubbers. What do you recommend?

swcc
10/27/2012, 03:04 PM
better to list current tank size and your filtration... the main question is do you want an eutrophic tank that promotes an ATS or a lower nutrient oligotrophic/mesotrophic system which does not support macro algae or ats?? IMO LN or ULN has the best sustainable success over time. ULN or LN will allow for generous feeding, as much light as you desire, and lack of any hazardous nutrient accumulation resulting in problem conditions.

shifty99
10/27/2012, 03:41 PM
I have a 100g with a built-in wet dry filter. I have removed the bio balls from the filter and currently have live rock in its place. This space will lend itself well to an ATS or hang on reactor.

shifty99
10/28/2012, 04:12 PM
Anyone else have an opinion on which route to use in combating my hair algae problem?

breakdanc3
10/28/2012, 08:20 PM
im having hair algae issues.. i am using an ats but i doin't beleive im cleaning it quick enough.. or my RO filter could be the issue cuz its 3yrs old no change. so im changing that soon
.. im looking in to getting a denitrator .. like the aquaripure .. google that .. plus a phosphate removal media .. my tank looks amazing except for my hair algae problem .. i do not have a skimmer ..

Update RO/DI filters
Get a Denitrator
Phosphate removal media

im putting my money on these 3 items .. oh . and cleaning the rocks off by hand ..