PDA

View Full Version : My tank readings! Help!

Marleysurf
10/28/2012, 11:07 AM
So today I finally got to test my water. Here are the readings ...
For my 150 gallon
Ammonia - 0.25
Ph. - 8.8
Nitrite. - 0
Nitrate. - 40

For my new 5 gallon nano I set up last week
Ammonia - 0.25
Ph. - 8.0
Nitrite. - 0
Nitrate. - 5

So obviously in my big tank my nitrate are way to high. I don't get it. Please help!

Danny_B
10/28/2012, 11:45 AM
Lol...you haven't give us enough info. We need to know everything. It is a good idea to put this info in your signature. Is the large tank newly setup too? How much live rock? How thick is your sand bed? what kind of setup is it? What corals, which fish are in there? Do you use a skimmer? Wet/dry bio balls? You you use filter floss? What do you feed and how often? Do you do water changes? Do you gravel vac? How much, how often? Do you add and chemicals or 'supplements'? Do you use ro /di water?
What kind of test kits we're used?

This would be a good start.

And state what are you are trying to accomplish or change.

Marleysurf
10/28/2012, 03:22 PM
Wow ok, I will do all that. Give me a few, and I'll give u the best description of what I have.

SushiGirl
10/28/2012, 04:34 PM
You have ammonia readings on both tanks. Any ammonia is much worse than 40 nitrates. Sounds like neither is done cycling.

Danny_B
10/28/2012, 04:45 PM
My thoughts exactly....but...we dont know if theres any livestock in either tank....

You have ammonia readings on both tanks. Any ammonia is much worse than 40 nitrates. Sounds like neither is done cycling.

SushiGirl
10/28/2012, 05:05 PM
I can only give an answer based on info provided. And regardless of whether there's any livestock in the tanks, ammonia is still far worse than 40 nitrate and would indicate some kind of cycle going on. Especially for the small tank set up last week.