PDA

View Full Version : Pretty sure this is aiptasia...can someone confirm ?

timekiller
10/28/2012, 02:16 PM
Spotted this little guy yesterday along with a bunch of feather dusters. This is the only one that looks like this though. Assuming it is aiptasia, can I just pluck it out ? I know my cleaner shrimp won't eat it, is it worth picking up a peppermint shrimp to deal with this ?

Tank is about 10 months old, I just bought my first corals yesterday (a zoanthid plug and a torch coral).

So, what do ?

Thanks.

cklayko
10/28/2012, 02:23 PM
yup - thats it. get some joe's juice, its for easy spot control. If you have an outbreak think about a peppermint shrimp...

timekiller
10/28/2012, 02:30 PM
yup - thats it. get some joe's juice, its for easy spot control. If you have an outbreak think about a peppermint shrimp...

Cool, thanks. Didn't know about Joe's Juice. I'll pick some up.

a.browning
10/28/2012, 02:34 PM
I always use kalk on aiptasia, works really well. Peppermint shrimp certainly do a good job to keep things in control.

coralsnaked
10/28/2012, 03:53 PM
Peppermint shrimp are hit and miss and many times what is sold as peppermint shrimp are really Camel shrimp, which won't touch the stuff but may eat certian types of coral. So make sure you know what your actualy buying. Best bet is the Joe's Juice or Aptasia X, a Red Sea Product, both are easy and affective.

Merry Skerry

Chris in NC
10/28/2012, 07:32 PM
Yuuuuuuuuup! Kill it!

accordsirh22
10/28/2012, 07:57 PM
i have had fantastic luck with using peppermints to clear up aptasia, luckily i have only seen a few ever in my tank. the lfs i work at is another story. the previous fish person must have thought aptasia were a good thing, cause it looked like they were trying to farm them there were so many. a couple orders of peppermint shrimp later, and i have virtually wiped them out

All6Fish
10/29/2012, 06:23 AM
I try not to add any cheimical to our tanks, I went the natural way and bought a Matted Filefish...........worked like a charm and no added outside chems in the tank.

Bpb
10/29/2012, 07:54 AM
I've killed the majority of my aiptasia with Red Sea aiptasia x. I have 4 peppermint shrimp. Maybe they are eating ones I don't see or something, but I will often find one or two that will be there for a couple weeks. If the peppermints don't get them, I just break out the aiptasia x. When I started my tank i had about 50 or so aiptasia. Now I will find one or two every now and then. Babies that have hidden well and blend in I suspect. Aiptasia isn't the worst if you stay on top of it. One or two here and there are manageable and easy to kill. It's when you let them infect every rock in your tank that you have problems.