PDA

View Full Version : Can I get power outage suggestions

mattash77
10/28/2012, 02:53 PM
As many on here know the East Coast is expecting power outages from the Hurricane. What do you all recommend in the event of a prolonged outage? There were areas in my state that were without power for over 14 days during the June Derecho storm. Fortunately, I didn't have my tank then. What do you guys recommend to keep livestock alive in a situation like that?

agreeive?fish
10/28/2012, 05:27 PM
power options for a PROLONGED outage

generator with a big stock pile of fuel

AND

battery air pumps with a stock pile of batteries

AND

a power inverter with a couple of deep cycle marine batteries

then if power is still out after you use up all these resources then you invite the in laws over hand them some stiring/pouring interments and put them to work

All6Fish
10/28/2012, 05:31 PM
Im in Connecticut so I feel your pain, to be honest a generator for long periods of power loss is your only friend. If you cannot get one research your area for others who reef and have one, you may find some on here who could help you out (not unheard of) other than that if your friendly with your LFS I would honestly try that route and see if they can help you out. If they appreciate your business they will.

Good luck

ginger7286
10/29/2012, 06:08 AM
Yes a small generator even if it's enough just to run your tank(s). If you're like me you really don't matter in times like BUT your fish and other critters do. Besides the generator, battery operated air pumps and a supply of batteries. Do not feed...fish can (so I've been told) live up to 3-4 weeks with no food if healthy. Good luck!! I am in Florida so for 6 months every year I hold my breath. I feel your pain!

All6Fish
10/29/2012, 06:11 AM
I'm in the Washington, DC area and am keeping my fingers crossed we don't have an extended outage! But, if we do, here are some tips I found online yesterday. It sounds like oxygen depletion is the number one issue you have to be concerned with...

================
Take any type of clean cup, pitcher or other container, scoop out and fill it with aquarium water.

Hold the filled container some distance above the aquarium, and pour the water back into the tank. Repeat this process numerous times. Tip: A larger volume of oxygen is generated the higher the water is dispensed from above the aquarium, and the number of repeated times this is done.

There is no set rule on how often this should be done, because every aquarium is different. You'll need to judge for yourself at what intervals each hour is going to be best for your system. When in doubt, go ahead, and if the fish start coming to the surface gasping for air, it's definitely time to aerate some more.

To avoid messing up the substrate and stirring up a bunch of crud, particularly if you have a small or shallow aquarium, place a small plate or bowl in the tank and pour the water onto this area. Ceramic or glass items work well for this, because the item has to be heavy enough to stay submerged and in place.

Fish can go for days without eating, so avoid feeding fish in a power outage because it will increase their activity level therefore increasing the bacterial activity causing an accelerated loss of oxygen.

Try to decrease the activity in the tank by darkening it with a sheet or blanket and not disturbing the occupants. Quietly resting fish use less oxygen then active fish. The blankets also serve to insulate the tank to some extent.
==========================

You can also connect a pump to your computer battery backup (UPS backup)and run it for a few minutes every hour or so to aerate the water. However, don't run the pump continuously because you will eventually deplete your UPS backup. Remember, you might be without power for days or even more than a week so the UPS backup must be used sparingly.

But, like Sk8r said, your number one priority is your own safety and that of your family so put that above everything else.

Be safe and good luck these next several days!

All6Fish
10/29/2012, 06:12 AM
Post above:
I copied that from a post I started, sounds like good advice.

steve888
10/29/2012, 10:29 AM
I was going to post this as well but you already did it...so thanks a lot.

So far, in the Wash, DC area (at least for me)...the power is still on. It's very windy right now and rainy but the worst is supposed to be from 5pm to 2am today...50 mph sustained winds with gusts over 70 mph with 4"-10" of rain.

I will probably be heading to the basement during that time since there are several large trees near my house and I don't want to be upstairs if any of them fall.

Good luck and be safe to anyone in the path of this storm! :uhoh3:

All6Fish
10/29/2012, 10:42 AM
Im in Conn Steve and the story keeps changing. If you can please keep me posted on how the storm affects you so I know what to expect.

Jopalmighty
10/29/2012, 11:46 AM
I'm in Ohio and went out and bought a generator last night just in case. I can always return it if I don't use it. If you wait till the power does go out generators are almost impossible to find. And I you happen to keep power and everyone else in town looses it you could always sell the geny for double what you paid for it to buy more coral.

steve888
10/29/2012, 12:15 PM
Im in Conn Steve and the story keeps changing. If you can please keep me posted on how the storm affects you so I know what to expect.

Yikes, it actually is getting stronger now with sustained winds of 90mph (up from 70 mph) and has also increased in speed moving from 14mph to 24 mph so it's going to hit NYC/NJ area a little earlier than they first thought (maybe around 6pm or 7pm). Winds of 90mph moving at a rate of 24 mph mean it will hit the coast at about 120mph! They are saying extreme catastrophic damage along the coastal areas of NY and NJ. A storm of historic proportions.

The winds here in DC have definitely picked up in the last hour but so far the power is still on. They are telling us 40-50 mph sustained and gusts over 70 mph when it hits with all its force between 5pm and 2am...just non-stop rain and strong winds during that 9 hour period. Perhaps as much as 10" of rain.

I'm heading to my basement in a few more hours in case a tree hits my house!

I believe the worst of it might be heading your way. I'm just on the southern end of it in the DC area but the winds and force of the hurricane are stronger heading to the north where you are.

Take cover and stay safe. Remember, your life is more important than the little fishies so put your own safety first!

Hzuiel
10/29/2012, 02:01 PM
The absolute necessities in an aquarium actually do not take up that much power. Heat, and circulation. The smaller the generator the less fuel it will consume, and the longer your fuel will last. Honda makes some absolutely bullet proof little generators that can a good while on their little 2 gallon tank. Get a small generator like that, and a small UPS(uninterruptable power supply) from the computer store. Plug the battery backup into the extension cord from the generator and then plug your return pump and heaters into it and you should be good.

Some of the smaller generators, like around 200 dollars, 3hp, get about 10 hours to 1.5 gallons. If you have 3, 5 gallon gas cans you can run the aquarium almost 4 full days.