PDA

View Full Version : protein skimmer died!!!!! WHAT SHOULD I DO

Vince272992
10/28/2012, 02:54 PM
hi i have a reef octopus bh150 skimmer on my 65gal reef and the pump for some reason died a couple days ago, so i called reef octopus and thanks to there great costemer service no one answered for the past 3 day, its ridiculous so i decided to turn to you guys so i have a few Q's
1. wht should i do in the mean time while there is NO skimmer
2. should i just get a new pump from these guys or a better skimmer brand
3. how long can my tank go without skimmer.

swcc
10/28/2012, 03:00 PM
a tank can go a long time without a skimmer..You may find if your doing monthly water changes, it will be better to do them more frequently and of larger volume(like 10% a week). If you already do weekly, add a couple extra gallons to the amount you change out.

James77
10/28/2012, 06:08 PM
hi i have a reef octopus bh150 skimmer on my 65gal reef and the pump for some reason died a couple days ago, so i called reef octopus and thanks to there great costemer service no one answered for the past 3 day, its ridiculous so i decided to turn to you guys so i have a few Q's
1. wht should i do in the mean time while there is NO skimmer
2. should i just get a new pump from these guys or a better skimmer brand
3. how long can my tank go without skimmer.

Keep in mind it was a weekend you were calling on....I would not judge a companies customer service based on that they take weekends off.

1. Maybe feed a little lighter, if anything at all.
2. They are one of the best companies for products and customer support.
3.Some people dont even run skimmers. A few days to a week will not even be noticable.,

teog
10/29/2012, 08:43 AM
Jeremy at Reef Octopus is awesome. I left a message with him last week and he called me back within 2 hours and sent me a replacement part that day for my biopellet reactor. Its very possible they were closed over the weekend.

Unless your dosing carbon (vodka, vinegar, biopellets) you will be fine without a skimmer for a while.

You may also contact him here in the vendor section.

stephent89
10/29/2012, 11:17 PM
Don't worry about it. Like someone already said, some people don't ever run skimmers and have great looking tanks. Just don't over feed and keep up with your regular water changes.