PDA

View Full Version : Question on GFO reactor setup

Jopalmighty
10/29/2012, 03:18 PM
So I recently purchased a TLF phosban reactor 150. Currently I have it hooked up to maxi-jet 1200 and it is tumbling fine. My big concern with it is the added volume. The tank is in my main living room where I watch TV and the addition of that one pump makes the volume obnoxious.

I came up with a plan to tap into my mag 7 return pump for the flow to the reactor. The plan was to put a t-fitting with a line coming off supplying the reactor with enough flow. I realize this will cut my flow into my tank a little bit, I have the maxi jet cranked down so much that I didn't think it'd affect that too much.

My other concern is that I turn off my return pump when I need to do a water change, therefore turning off my reactor every water change. Would this be a cause for concern? Are there any other issues that I am not thinking about.

I just want to cut down the amount of pumps that are running, therefore cutting down noise.

HowieB
10/29/2012, 03:54 PM
I have a "Y" coming off my main pump with one side going to the tank and the other going to a manifold which feeds a GFO reactor and a carbon reactor. On the side that feeds the tank I have a ball valve that I can shut when I do a water change rather than shut the pump off. On the manifold I have a valve which just feeds water back into the sump. When I do a water change, I shut the tank valve off and open the extra valve on the manifold. This allows the water through the reactors to stay more or less constant.

Jopalmighty
10/29/2012, 10:01 PM
That makes a lot of sense. Didn't thnk of putting a valve there at all. Thanks for the suggestion.