PDA

View Full Version : Zoas Dying Please HELP!

dadsoldtruck
10/29/2012, 03:32 PM
Hey guys, I really need your help. I added a zoa rock to my tank about 6 months ago. Took me about 2 weeks to figure out where they liked it best. They opened nicely and very slowly started to spread. About 2 months ago I started dosing with Reef Solutions and they really started to flourish. They looked bigger and brighter and spread quickly. Then they started to close up on one side. Looked like the xenia Elongata was stinging them, so I moved them to their other happy location. And now half my zoa that were closed up are gone, what was left is half is closed (the closest to the dead stuff) and the ones that are open aren't very full and big. The water Parameters I do know of are Salinity 1.023-1.024 (just did a 10% water change 2 days ago) calcium is 460, alk is 7, and nitrates are 0. My pH test kit is MIA and keep forgetting to get a new one. All my other corals are doing great. I have LED lighting and a skimmer and a wavemaker.

SushiGirl
10/29/2012, 06:47 PM
What's in Reef Solutions? Anything else in the tank looking bad?

A. Grandis
10/29/2012, 10:18 PM
Sonds like bacterial infection.
Remove the rock and scrape the dead stuff off with a knife ASAP!!!!
Careful with the eyes, mouth and you skin exposed, because of palytoxin!!
It would be good if you are able to dip the polyps in Lugols' solution with tank water.
3-5 drops for each 8-10 oz of tank water for 3-5 min.
Good luck!

Grandis.

dadsoldtruck
10/30/2012, 10:12 AM
Thank you so much, I'll get right on the scrapping of it off. I wear gloves when I deal with my tank as it has been found I'm allergic to half the stuff in there. I don't have any Lugol's but will try to go and get some today. Thank you so much for your help!!

uxdesigner
11/01/2012, 04:47 PM
I would try dipping the infected area in a 50/50 (peroxide/water) solution. I've used this technique many times with success, although sometimes it was too late.