PDA

View Full Version : Why add a CUC?

Chief Hill
10/29/2012, 06:30 PM
My tank is fully cycled and ready for some visible life. However in speaking with some other reefers today at my lfs I was told don't bother with the cuc yet.
Reason being I have no diatoms and no visible algea yet. So no food for the cuc what's the point in adding them? They said go with a fish (clown and small anenome for now. Get the cuc when I get a bloom.
What are your thoughts?

jasonrstewart79
10/29/2012, 06:33 PM
Sounds like decent advice. A CUC does exactly what the name implies in a sense... they clean stuff up visually but they also contribute waste to the system. A tank in the middle of the cycle doesn't really benefit until there is something for the crew to eat and ammonia/nitrite levels are gone. Patience, young padawan.

brandon429
10/29/2012, 06:33 PM
I never added them, so that option is there. i simply hand remove anything that grows, never trusting any animals to let a bro down lol

they are optional

I added some ceriths before just to watch something scoot around, but help much? na, I still clean the glass

Chief Hill
10/29/2012, 06:44 PM
Sounds like decent advice. A CUC does exactly what the name implies in a sense... they clean stuff up visually but they also contribute waste to the system. A tank in the middle of the cycle doesn't really benefit until there is something for the crew to eat and ammonia/nitrite levels are gone. Patience, young padawan.

So should I just get the clown and anenome for now? Then Cuc when I observe the need for it?
That's what makes sense to me. But that's why I'm here. As a young padawan learner of the RC order. I'll ask the masters what I should do.
It prevents issues later.

sparky45
10/29/2012, 07:17 PM
I wouldn't add a nem for about 6 months until your tank is a little more stable. The clown would be a nice addition though.

matt9190
10/29/2012, 07:51 PM
You can add the CUC after a couple months post-cycle. In my opinion, if you can see that you need a CUC, its too late! They concentrate on detritus that is quite small and within the substrate.

DutchLeck
10/29/2012, 07:54 PM
Sk8r has a good thread on why the CUC is beneficial. I'd recommend looking it up.

DutchLeck
10/29/2012, 07:56 PM
Sk8r's CUC Thread (http://reefcentral.com/forums/blog.php?b=537)

Reefmedic79
10/29/2012, 08:00 PM
+1 Don't add the anemone for a while. Also in regards to needing a CUC. They do add an additional amount of nutrients to jump start your algae growth in the tank. Contrary to what some believe, a Reef tank completely devoid of all algae growth is not a healthy or stable tank. Adding a small part of the crew at time will keep them from starving and will help to prevent a bloom that can and will get out of control if you add the crew in response to the bloom as opposed to being proactive.

Sent from my future self.

Chief Hill
10/29/2012, 09:28 PM
Well if that's the case I'll get a small cuc. Being here in Canada I'm sol from ordering online where all you guys do.
Any idea on the number of cuc members I should buy? scarlet hermits cerith snails etc.

hollister
10/29/2012, 09:34 PM
The cuc can be a great resource but if added right. They help remove waste and mix up sand bed. But you want to add slowly.

I say start with a coral then wait and add a fish wait a week or more and add a fish or coral then wait and add a fish or coral and a few cuc and wait . Slow and steady.

Chief Hill
10/30/2012, 08:11 AM
Is it just me or is there conflicting information/advice on the forums?. As a new guy I know that patients is key and to take it slow. So im told add a very small CUC but many other people order a large initial CUC online and they get TONS of snails, crabs etc delivered. (but Im told either dont need them now or add a small crew)

Then there is fish. Add 1 fish. But clown like to be paired (if you can get a nice small pair at your LFS) :debi:
what to do? lol :fun4:

I will wait on the Enem.
My idea was to get a SMALL pair of clowns from the LFS. And a maybe 3 Ceruth Snails and 3 hermit crabs. This should help with cleanup of detritus from the new 2 clowns and any micro stuff I cannot see.

Then wait a week or 2 and add a coral wait a week and something else like more CUC. and so on...
What do you think about that?

swcc
10/30/2012, 08:19 AM
CUC... not really necessary at all. they simply eat stuff and poop it back out.

aandfsoccr04
10/30/2012, 08:47 AM
I'd also advise you to skip the nem until 6 months to a year. You can add a small pair of clowns if you want. They are good hardy fish and make a nice addition. You can add half a CUC if you want or a full CUC. If a few snails or crabs die, it's not the end of the world as they are easily replaceable.

Chief Hill
10/31/2012, 12:09 PM
I'd also advise you to skip the nem until 6 months to a year. You can add a small pair of clowns if you want. They are good hardy fish and make a nice addition. You can add half a CUC if you want or a full CUC. If a few snails or crabs die, it's not the end of the world as they are easily replaceable.

Ok went out to LFS and picked up 2 small Clowns yesterday. And a cheap Brown Zoa.
Both fish acclimated by drip for 25 min and released into tank. Shot down to the bottom and are hiding low in the tank together and seem to be waching us everytime we walk by. Just waiting now to see when they'll be interested in eating.
took a pic with cell phone and only 1 of the clowns was out. Pic taken with daylights running only so the picture does not have too much blue in it.

blur456
10/31/2012, 01:21 PM
I'm a newb as well but been reading here and another forum for months. I agree that you find lots of conflicting advice but that's why you should never take any single post as THE answer. But reading over multiple threads and posts will bring clarity to the information.

That all being said, we added a few hermits and a few trochus snails as our initial CUC. We didn't add the huge quantity you'll see recommended, just didn't have the load required to support such life. Even then first trochus snails died from starvation. We enjoy watching the hermits, especially at feeding time where they move suprisingly fast to grab whatever food lands on the bottom. As you'll be feeding the clowns now, your tank can support a small CUC contingent.