PDA

View Full Version : Euphyllia Dominated Reef: water params?

AcroporAddict
10/29/2012, 09:49 PM
Guys,
I am an experienced SPS keeper, and I am just now setting up a 100 gallon euphyllia dominated tank. I will assume I want KH, CA, Mag and Calcium at the same levels?

What about nitrate and phosphate? Are there acceptable levels or is zero the best? I use 100 micron filter socks in the sump. I'm just not used to a tank with higher organics. Will I starve the hammers/torches/frogspawns if I duplicate SPS quality water? Thanks for any guidance.

Lighting is 2x Radions. Tank is 30 x 30 x 24 rimless. Skimmer is alpha vertex 250 cone. Two 100 micron mesh filter socks. BRS reactors using GFO in one and ROX .08 in the other. One MP40wES turned down to about 40%.

coralsnaked
10/30/2012, 12:26 PM
LPS and SPS are very simular to needs as far as water chemistry goes, with the exception that LPS does not tolerate the higher KH values like the SPS will. A middle of the road 8.5 is good, but no 10+ for LPS.

As far as the trates go they are surely more toleramt of the lower trace amounts than SPS but not dependant like say soft corals are. They will benifit from occasional meaty feedings, and are pretty easilt trained to accept foods. I signal mine its time to feed with a little phyto appetizer. When they open up I give them mysis shrimp for each head.

Merry Skerry