PDA

View Full Version : Diatoms.tell me how to kill them!

eutimio
10/29/2012, 09:55 PM
when are they supposed to appear in the tank usually while cycling or after its done cycling?I have a lot in my tank covering the rock and sand and its only the first week of cycling...tell me what to do.how to get rid of it?blackout?water change?siphoning the brown sand?when i initially filled up the tank was with tap water which might have triggered the invasion of diatoms in just 3 days. what can i do about it?

hollister
10/29/2012, 10:17 PM
Diatoms is a layer of disolved solids and die off. Good water flow and some type of bio filter like a hang on back filter helps collect this debris before it collects.

bugs713
10/29/2012, 10:51 PM
Diatom is a normal for a new tank and part of the cycle process, but starting with tap water is not a good start!
In short time it will go away, but if you continue to use tap, you will probably always have a serious algae problem.
What are your water parameters?

eutimio
10/30/2012, 12:32 AM
Diatom is a normal for a new tank and part of the cycle process, but starting with tap water is not a good start!
In short time it will go away, but if you continue to use tap, you will probably always have a serious algae problem.
What are your water parameters?

not using tap water anymore im using RO/DI water now.

Test as of today:

KH-11
GH-OVER 100 DROPS...go figure...i dont know if the test is bad or the water is really that hard...The test works on my tap water and reads only 4 DROPS.

PH-8.0
AMM-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10ppm
Salinity:1.024

I set up the tank on the 21st of this month.Im getting nitrate reading with others reading 0.Is this tank cycled?I already introduced the CUC in my tank mostly nerite snails (10), fire shrimp(1) and cleaner shrimp(1).The snails are munching on the diatoms..But they cant take care of it..its too much..

Also I might have made a mistake that i shouldnt have done but didnt have a choice.I left town for 3 days .Before I left the Ammonia in the QT was reading 0.After i came back..the ammonia in the QT was reading 2 ppm and i freaked out since the LFS wasnt open on sunday and i couldnt get the RO/DI water.I didnt even have any salt in the house to mix at least with the tap water so i took the 3 fish that were quarantined for 1 week and put them in the big tank.Now theyre all eating and very healthy swimming all around the tank...I have no idea if the tank is strong enough to take the bioload but seems like after 2 days the ammonia is still at 0 in the tank.
Give me some advice.I know i should quarantine fish for 4 weeks at least and i will from now on it was an emergency and i had to move them to the big tank...
What should I do next?
Should I buy tests for Calcium, Phosphate and Magnesium and test those too?
Can I add corals yet?Ive heard a mushroom will tell the quality of the water long before fish show any signs of illness..
Should I add more CUC's ?some snails that clean the sand bed and rocks better than nerites?ive noticed nerites need help to get back up and cant move on sand.I need different ones for the sand....
I didnt add the protein skimmer yet.This would be a good time to do it?
Thanks for all the answers !

ginger7286
10/30/2012, 09:36 AM
I would get a PS soon. Let the tank cycle, it needs to. Don't be alarmed by the diatoms. I would suck them out a little at a time again this is all part of the initial cycle. Yes you made some mistakes but you learned from them and that is good. Keep an eye on the fish you may need to QT them (together) in your DT (a pain but doable). Test kits for calcium and magnesium IMO can wait. If you use a good brand of salt it will keep your levels where you need them. Keep water on hand for water changes when needed.

If you can I would purchase an RO/DI system for your house/residence. This way in an emergency you can make your own water. I keep a large Brute garbage can dedicated to my reserve salt water. (If you chose to do this use the grey one) I always keep a full bucket ready in case plus I use it for my regular water chages so the water does get used and remade. I also keep a small powerhead in the bucket to circulate and aerate the water.

Everything will work out just let it go through the necessary steps.

Good Luck

Gregs138
10/30/2012, 10:57 AM
Diatom are unsightly but not really that terrible. Have you checked your phosphate levels as well?

Snails will eventually catch up with them, but I really recommend getting one of those siphon vacuum tube things. It really helped alot when I had my diatom bloom on my new tank.

The snails took care of the rocks =Zebras, Astreas, and some nassarius. The astreas impressed the heck out of me. They would eat a rockful a day. The zebras too but they seem to go slower.

I used the siphon vacuum on the sand/bottom and the whole thing was cleared up in a week. The diatoms if I rememeber correctly are a direct result of too much phosphate. Pretty normal in a new tank especially. Might be time for a 20% water change to export some gunk. Also, make sure you are cleaning your sponge filters off. Rinse them every few days-they collect all the phosphate holding stuff.

eutimio
10/30/2012, 07:43 PM
i left the light off today and when i got home..no more diatom on the rocks.wth?were the snails that ate it or just disappeared cuz i left the light off?i still see some on the sand but the rocks are hecka clean!
aside of that..is mysis shrimp too much to feed every day or should be like 2-3 times a week?Am i doing something wrong by feeding them frozen mysis every day?

merritt32
10/30/2012, 09:45 PM
tap water is bad all else fails use distilled water from walmart .83c a gallon. invest in an rodi system it will be your best friend get the highest gpd you can afford atleast 100gpd

Gary Majchrzak
10/30/2012, 10:50 PM
silica in reef aquariums (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/1/aafeature1)

FYI: a diatom bloom in a new reef aquarium is quite normal