PDA

View Full Version : Do you prophylactically treat after QT?

ntropics
10/30/2012, 10:37 AM
I have have my mimic puffer filefish in QT for four weeks now. They are blemish free, and eating well. I am wondering who would treat prophylactically either with a freshwater dip or something else, and who would just put them into the display tank after acclimating? They were from Diver's Den, if that means anything.
I am of the opinion that I should not add stress to the stress of transferring to the display tank. But is it better to be safe than sorry?

Thanks for any info anyone might have!
Bruce

Millticket
10/30/2012, 11:05 AM
I only ever treated if I saw symptoms. I don't like to cause stress to the fish with dips or treatments unless its a necessity. If you want to play it extra safe, you could keep him in qt for another week or so. I hope this helps. Good luck.

ntropics
10/30/2012, 05:07 PM
Thanks. That makes sense, and is what I was thinking. I would assume if after a month they are healthy then they are safe to add. Also, I used to add DD fish without QT, without any trouble, but I QT everything now. It just took me a while to figure out how to run a QT tank. Now I add live rock and a skimmer. As long as there is no disease and no treatment necessary, the live rock does the job. Previously I had ammonia problems in my QT.
But I digress...

bnumair
10/30/2012, 05:29 PM
i use prazipro or formalin on all fish in qt. rest is upto symptoms.

aandfsoccr04
10/30/2012, 07:15 PM
I also only use prazi pro in the QT tank. I don't treat for anything unless I see signs of disease.

sasharotty
10/30/2012, 07:26 PM
I also only use prazi pro in the QT tank. I don't treat for anything unless I see signs of disease.

x3 here too. Prazi too all newcomers nothing else unless signs arise.

MuffsAbby
10/30/2012, 08:15 PM
x4...I use Prazi on my QT residents, but nothing else unless they show signs of disease.

bu11itt
10/30/2012, 09:59 PM
I'll jump on the Prazi wagon. I treat with that and just monitor. Although I'm only on my 3rd round of QT so I am open to the possibilty of the evolution of my method in the future. I settled on the current regime after research on this forum.

ntropics
10/31/2012, 01:16 PM
Prazi it is! I just bought some! Thank you all.
Bruce

ntropics
10/31/2012, 01:59 PM
So now I have a question regarding its use. It says on the bottle to stop the protein skimmer or it won't work. I use a skimmer in my QT always, and that has, I believe, improved my success in QT'ing. Does it really require turning off? Does anyone know if this can be used as a dip prior to inserting into the display tank?
Thank you.
Bruce

bnumair
10/31/2012, 02:34 PM
sorry no skimmer on my QT. so i have no idea.