PDA

View Full Version : Everything turned off for feeding?

Rottmn
10/30/2012, 05:59 PM
Just wondering if most people turn everything off while feeding? I've been turning off my powerheads when I target feed my corals, but do I also need to turn off my protein skimmer & filtration system?

Chris in NC
10/30/2012, 06:04 PM
I don't, and have great success with feeding.

Led Bizkit
10/30/2012, 06:15 PM
I do and everything ROCKS!!!!

No issues here and never had any in 35 years

leeb.
10/30/2012, 06:17 PM
I only turn off my skimmer and filter when feeding my corals with filter feeding food such as marine snow. Other than that you shouldn't need to anything off.

Tinpanva
10/30/2012, 06:18 PM
I do, i like how it keeps the food suspended longer for my guys to gobble it up. It also keeps uneaten food from going to the rear chambers of my biocube. Shrimps, crabs, and snail have a better chance at getting a bite. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

thegrun
10/30/2012, 09:41 PM
I slow my MP-10's at 30% and turn off the return, skimmer and reactor pumps.

bnumair
10/30/2012, 09:52 PM
i only put my return pump on standby for 7 min rest of all the tank remains running.

sail33
10/30/2012, 10:01 PM
I've got a ball valve on the sump return. I shut that off then feed. The rest of the power heads stay on. But then, I've only got a few coral so far and just let them grab what they can. All but one are doing very well. That one arrived as damaged goods.

Gary Majchrzak
10/30/2012, 10:09 PM
Just wondering if most people turn everything off while feeding? I've been turning off my powerheads when I target feed my corals, but do I also need to turn off my protein skimmer & filtration system?JMO: I never cared what MOST people do. Do what's good for your animals. That means research the individuals.

Rottmn
10/30/2012, 10:18 PM
Sorry if my questions on here seem to bother some people, but thank you everyone else for your answers. It really does help me & I have picked up numerous valuable tips from asking questions like this on RC.

hobbzz
10/30/2012, 10:24 PM
I turn off the return and skimmer. I don't like wasting the food or feeding the filter socks.

Gary Majchrzak
10/30/2012, 10:31 PM
Sorry if my questions on here seem to bother some people, but thank you everyone else for your answers. It really does help me & I have picked up numerous valuable tips from asking questions like this on RC.I don't believe your question bothered anyone that bothered to reply. I do believe you were given SOME good information.
I, (for one), DO NOT turn off anything when feeding my aquarium.
That doesn't mean it's the best choice for someone else.

bolling
10/31/2012, 11:59 AM
Just wondering if most people turn everything off while feeding? I've been turning off my powerheads when I target feed my corals, but do I also need to turn off my protein skimmer & filtration system?

I just pull my two filter baskets out of the way and leave everything running. If I shut off the pumps it messes up my protein skimmer and if I shut the skimmer off first it still messes it up.