PDA

View Full Version : Won the Cyno battle, Now coraline Turning white :(

majaxx
10/30/2012, 11:31 PM
Hello,

Tank, red sea max 130. 34g. Using R/O DI, MP40, nano koralia, stock skimmer.
about 30lbs of rock.
1 clown, 1 watchman goby. 3 turbos, 2 astrea and tons of babies, cleaner shrimp and couple hermits.

OK heres the problem. tank up for 1 year now. I just battled cyno for 2-3 months. its now gone. I didnt do anything particular. I just kept manually removing it and after a while its gone on its own.

Now, my Xenia dont look so happy. and just noticed coraline is turning white.

why?

params.

amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20 (my test kit always says 20 it has never ever said any lower or higher?) think something is wrong? API kit.

Calcium is around 450-500

I just added the turbos a couple weeks ago, and then i noticed this coraline turning white. I had tons of it. Now i have no idea what to do.

Please help, I dont know if this is serious or it will come back eventually.

Thank you

dkerns06
10/31/2012, 12:30 AM
Coraline always kind of dies of and then grows back. I let my back walls get covered and large patches will turn white and then a different colored coraline will take over. It's just a natural cycle.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

sirreal63
10/31/2012, 07:12 AM
what is the alk and mag number?

yogoshio
10/31/2012, 07:38 AM
what is the alk and mag number?

+1

Coraline does best with high alk and needs stable mg as well. Calcium is just part of the story.

Frankfish
10/31/2012, 07:50 AM
These things happen from time to time. Like others have said, need to check your alk. If all your parameters are in line, and you keep them steady, things should bounce back pretty quickly. If your numbers bounce around then you need to make some adjustments to your maintenance schedule.

I have never used the API test kits, but you could try taking to a LFS if that's an option and have them test it.

Palting
10/31/2012, 08:13 AM
+1

Coraline does best with high alk and needs stable mg as well. Calcium is just part of the story.

+2. Or is it +3 already?

My coralline went completely white when my alk went below 7dKH. Took me a week to figure it out, a few weeks to get it back up to above 8, and a good several months for the coralline to come back.

Also agree you need a better test kit for nitrate. You need to get nitrate below 10, ideally undetectable, if you want to keep stony corals and coralline.

majaxx
10/31/2012, 10:29 AM
thank you everyone.

I dont have an ALK or MAG kit yet because i never had a problem. Ill look into getting a reef kit now.

Im hoping the nitrate test kit just sucks because, for some reason its always at 20ppm, i only have 2 fish, and i feed them tops 3 times a week very little.

but i have to say my water changes for the past 2 months have been slacking like 1 a month.

I try to keep it at 5g per week.

Maybe it will bounce back when i get back to regular water changes?

sirreal63
10/31/2012, 11:02 AM
I would start doing some weekly water changes and order some Salifert test kits asap. Keeping the alk up is easy, but you have to know where it is before you can adjust it, for now some water changes will help. Coraline will consume alk, and with a small water volume it is easy for your big 3 to get out of whack quickly.