PDA

View Full Version : Starting tank size, bigger better?

smbsocal
10/31/2012, 08:21 AM
I have always seen it stated that the larger the tank the more water volume there is and the easier it is to maintain a stable system. I however keep seeing wonderful tank build threads that for the most part seem to downgrade to smaller systems to reduce maintenance which seems to go against the larger tank recommendation.

In terms of a starter system is something like a 57 or 65 gallon tank easier or harder to setup and maintain than something like a 100 gallon cube. I am using those as examples since I have limited space length wise.

It seems like the cost, outside of the tank itself, is roughly the same for both setups but the maintenance for the larger tank, especially water changes, would be a lot more.

bnumair
10/31/2012, 08:30 AM
for starter a 75 and upto 120 is what i recommend.

MondoBongo
10/31/2012, 08:40 AM
the more water volume you have the easier it will be to keep your water params stable. theory being that it takes more to, for example, drop the alkalinity on 150 gallons than it does on 15 gallons.

that being said, the downside of course is the startup costs and maintenance.

using the 15G as an example again it is cheaper to get lighting, filters, skimmers, live rock, saltwater, etc for something that small as opposed to something 10 times the size.

maintenance wise you will obviously need to use more salt mix for water changes, more additives if you're dosing, etc, etc...

i started my reef with a 75 gallon, and i think it's a good balance. startup costs weren't prohibitive, and with my 25G sump i have a decent amount of water volume. water changes aren't too costly or unmanageable, even using buckets.

although i'll be 100% honest with you, now that i have fallen in love with my tank i wish i could just nail up some glass walls and flood my dining room. ;)

ADDH2O
10/31/2012, 09:37 AM
Def do the largest you can fit/afford (that is a scary thought lol). I had a 125 and now have 37 & 20.. the 125 was so much easier. You have more water to work with for mistakes, etc.

Reefmedic79
10/31/2012, 09:37 AM
Setup difficulty is about the same, but as others have mentioned more volume = greater stability when it comes to tank parameters. Cost and space are the primary reasons for going smaller.

Many of us with some experience under our belt also look at it as an accomplishment being successful with small water volumes as they can exhibit significantly different challenges to maintain them properly.

Sent from my future self.

aandfsoccr04
10/31/2012, 10:14 AM
I'd say go for the biggest tank that you have space for and your budget will afford. Larger tanks are much more forgiving of silly noob mistakes like topping off with saltwater or dosing too much chemicals.