PDA

View Full Version : Chicken or egg - Coral or fish

agiacosa
10/31/2012, 09:20 AM
Hi all,

I'm working my way into an SPS nano. I'm currently nearing the end of the cycling.

I'm thinking ahead and want to add a 6-line wrasse and a dotty. However, do you recommend introducing the fish first or the coral first?

I'm thinking that adding the two fish first and getting a feeding routine in place will allow the nitrifying bacteria to get used to this load without harming any corals. I'm assuming the fish will be able to withstand any initial swings that happen. Once the bacteria are dealing with the then load, adding a few corals won't increase the load in any significant amount.

Makes sense or am I off?

Thanks

DopeCantWin
10/31/2012, 09:38 AM
6 line with a dotty in a nano sounds a little iffy, perhaps you could run it by the fish compatibility people.

agiacosa
10/31/2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks, I will.

Any thoughts on fish or coral first?

MHG
10/31/2012, 11:59 AM
Fish first...

DopeCantWin
10/31/2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks, I will.

Any thoughts on fish or coral first?

I'd put in the fish first, as the corals need some waste in the system. Otherwise you'd have to specifically feed them. I've tried it the other way around, it didn't work out well. Everything just paled out and I had bad polyp extension.Some of the SPS which like dirtier water died.

Allmost
10/31/2012, 12:02 PM
your plan sounds fine. add 1 fish at a time, get the feeding going, watch for rise in N or P, increase water changes if needed, then you can start stocking corals slowly, and add the second fish ....

remember, even corals add to your bioload !

agiacosa
10/31/2012, 12:05 PM
Thanks for your thoughts and experience!

I figured a fish + food would add more bioload in a short period of time than a coral would.

Allmost
10/31/2012, 12:15 PM
that depends on the size of fish and the food and .... :)

just take things slowly, and feed the least amount possible at the beggining.

AFU
10/31/2012, 12:44 PM
I would say fish first. With my experience I have seen better results this way. I agree to take it slowly and feed minimal. I feed my tank several times a day but small amounts.