PDA

View Full Version : LED Question

RAY in PA.
10/31/2012, 10:42 AM
I've been running LEDs on my 180 reef for about 8 months and I'm pretty happy with the results. I have three 18" heatsinks each with 15 cool white CREE XP-G, 24 CREE royal blue XT-E, 6 CREE blue XP-E. I recently purchased a torch coral @ a local frag fest and placed in my tank. Not knowing much about torch corals I thought "all this fuss over a tan-colored coral". Just for the heck of it I turned off my cool white lights and WOW I couldn't believe the difference! It turned blue and orange. There are multiple spots open on my heatsink and I'd like to add more CREEs to get the same effect, but I don't want a completely blue tank. I don't want to reduce my cool whites because I want to retain my PAR and continued growth. I'd like to bring more color to the torch, frog spawn and some zoas that I have.

Now the question: I know it's personal preference, but could someone suggest what LEDs and how many? I was thinking royal blue, but I also see blue,violet, green, and red. Does anyone have any experience with these? I know it's a lot to read so I appreciate any input. I may want to double duty some of these bulbs for moonlight.