PDA

View Full Version : Fluval Spec 1 Gallon

beprimeaux
11/01/2012, 07:42 AM
I have a Fluval Spec and I was just wondering what kind of a cleaner crew should I stock it with. I want to eventually put a little bit of corals in it but I'm pretty nervous since Ihave only had FOWLR tanks. Any help will be nice!Thanks!

brandon429
11/01/2012, 11:36 AM
Clean up crews are not needed in gallon reefs, best to do it by hand. Change all the water each week, feed the tank only before the water change never mid week, that's about it. Stock with the usual corals it can last a long long time.

brandon429
11/01/2012, 11:52 AM
That being said, you can put in any cuc member you want they won't hurt. They just won't help either. Algae/invaders that grow in a gallon reef will be faster than they can remove it, so even if you have a cuc still remove any growths by hand as soon as you see them.

codyreef29
11/01/2012, 03:25 PM
If you must I have 5 snails in 2.5 plus one small hermit crab.

beprimeaux
11/06/2012, 09:44 AM
That being said, you can put in any cuc member you want they won't hurt. They just won't help either. Algae/invaders that grow in a gallon reef will be faster than they can remove it, so even if you have a cuc still remove any growths by hand as soon as you see them.
@Brandon429: Sorry for the late reply. My internet has been down. But that makes sense. I'm nervous about adding corals though. I'm not very experienced in that department. Any suggestions for beginner corals?

beprimeaux
11/06/2012, 09:44 AM
If you must I have 5 snails in 2.5 plus one small hermit crab.
@Codyreef29: What kind of corals do you have in your nano?

brandon429
11/06/2012, 11:34 AM
These are some that work

Candy coral, caulastrea
Zoanthids
Mushroom corals
Any small lps coral

Small soft coral frags.

beprimeaux
11/08/2012, 09:52 AM
These are some that work

Candy coral, caulastrea
Zoanthids
Mushroom corals
Any small lps coral

Small soft coral frags.

Awesome. You rock! Thank you so much for the help. I can't wait to get it started! :lol2::lol2:

Mcluett
11/08/2012, 11:56 AM
If you weren't planning on corals what did you have planned to go in your tank?

Jon B
11/08/2012, 04:05 PM
I give a lot of credit to anyone running these tiny tanks. So cool. I guess I am just not confident enough.

x3thelast
11/08/2012, 11:01 PM
ive got ONE lone hermit in mine. just for movement since my pom pom crab is usually hiding durring the day time.

but like brandon said just clean it when you do your water change. and NEVER let it grow because algae will get out of control fast!

good luck and looking forward to seeing pictures!

beprimeaux
11/09/2012, 03:17 PM
If you weren't planning on corals what did you have planned to go in your tank?

I was planning on putting corals in it! It used to house a betta fish!

beprimeaux
11/09/2012, 03:18 PM
I give a lot of credit to anyone running these tiny tanks. So cool. I guess I am just not confident enough.

Haha, yeah thanks. I'm pretty nervous to start it. I've only dealt with larger tanks. This is my first SUPER NANO. Lol :D

beprimeaux
11/09/2012, 03:19 PM
ive got ONE lone hermit in mine. just for movement since my pom pom crab is usually hiding durring the day time.

but like brandon said just clean it when you do your water change. and NEVER let it grow because algae will get out of control fast!

good luck and looking forward to seeing pictures!

Sweet. Thanks. I'll probably add a small cleaner crew to get some good use out of the algae (feeding my CUC crew) but I'll definitely be posting pictures!

Mcluett
11/09/2012, 03:40 PM
I was planning on putting corals in it! It used to house a betta fish!

Sorry I misread the first post and saw FOWLR, I thought you were looking for fish choices for your 1 gallon.

Good luck with the tank, picos look awesome when done right.