PDA

View Full Version : Moving sump into garage...sharing experience

shinninja
11/01/2012, 04:50 PM
Hey everyone. A few months back i decided to redo the plumbing in my tank. My setup then was 180gal with about 35 gallons in a sump bellow. I use an external skimmer, 3 mp40s, in sump return pump- eheim 5000, apex and various other little pieces. at the time I considered my tank to be slightly loud, not too bad. Periodically i would have water spills, noise from gurgling, skimmer overflow smells and other little annoyances. Time for a change....
I ordered an external pump-reeflo barracuda hybrid and moved everything to the garage. It was a slight pain in the rear but nothing too bad. I also went from a simple one bulkhead overflow to a bean animal style overflow.
WHAT A DIFERENCE!!!
Since then Ive had multiple large water spills. Skimmer overflows, and other messes. They were not a big deal because all the water flowed right out into a drain. No more smells from the skimmer, and best of all less noise. Its been such a nice change. I did take up a little space in the garage but not a biggie for me. The temp swings were not as bad as i anticipated. No problems with "polluted air" from my vehicles. More workspace!!!!
If anyone is looking to make the move....do it!!!!

mcgyvr
11/01/2012, 05:10 PM
nice.. bean animal is the ONLY way to go.
My wife was very impressed when I fired up the new tank a few weeks ago. She though it would be louder than my 30G weir overflow tank.. Boy were we both surprised when we couldn't here a thing. Its so quiet I keep going over to make sure its still on.

Now just learn to not spill it all and you'll be good to go :)