PDA

View Full Version : over skimming??

spehhh
11/03/2012, 01:39 AM
i just recently got a hugee deal on a eshopps s-200 come skimmer and i was wondering if this is over kill for a system pushing around 90 gallons+ ?

KCombs
11/03/2012, 04:43 AM
I'm of the opinion that "overskimming" isn't that easy to do (all things being equal in a properly fed tank)
my guess is that if you feed daily and the tank is moderatley stocked, its not a big issue
...again of course thats just my opinion

swcc
11/03/2012, 07:38 AM
I use that skimmer on my 60 cube...no it will not 'overskim' a 90. The skimmer is excellent performance wise.

spehhh
11/03/2012, 12:28 PM
okay cool. so im good :) cant beat a 400 dollar skimmer for 50 bucks right??

azjohnny
11/03/2012, 09:28 PM
i just recently got a hugee deal on a eshopps s-200 come skimmer and i was wondering if this is over kill for a system pushing around 90 gallons+ ?

that would be good price for a used skimmer and it says "up to 200-300 gals", I take those rating with a grain of salt

A 8" cone skimmer is comparable to a 6" standard body skimmer which would be good on about a 100-125 gal tank

IMO E shopps skimmers are overpriced for what you are getting, you could get a Reef Dynamics or SRO skimmer in the $400 range which would blow the doors off of a E shopps skimmer

stephent89
11/03/2012, 09:40 PM
What if I have a reef octopus 150 for a 20 gallon nano with 20 gallon sump? I already had the skimmer from a previous setup so I didn't really want to buy another.

spehhh
11/04/2012, 01:39 AM
that would be good price for a used skimmer and it says "up to 200-300 gals", I take those rating with a grain of salt

A 8" cone skimmer is comparable to a 6" standard body skimmer which would be good on about a 100-125 gal tank

IMO E shopps skimmers are overpriced for what you are getting, you could get a Reef Dynamics or SRO skimmer in the $400 range which would blow the doors off of a E shopps skimmer

i fell it i had an old school reef octopus running for about 5 years,got it for 20 bucks at a lfs closing sale. loved it,never had an eshopps before. But yes i agree there to overpriced

hollister
11/04/2012, 01:45 AM
Well corals and pods and cuc like some fish waste for food. A 90 gallon would do fine with 7 fish or so. So if your under stocked with fish then over skimming is possible.

I would only use it 1 week per month.

swcc
11/04/2012, 07:04 AM

having gone from a reef dynamics to the eshopps...the opposite is true...the eshopps cone (now running the sicce psk pumps) 'blows the doors' off the reef dynamics(little more volume of skimmate and much darker and chunkier as well). You'd be surprised just how well they work. The s-200 is equivalent to running a seaside aquatics cs8(although the s-200 is a 6" cone vs 8"). Both are proving to perform better than an ins135 reef dynamics skimmer(their equivalent size from them). As far as reef octo...the eshopps does not have the poorly designed outputs and the air silencer actually works. Skim wise, proven to work just as well although due to the larger neck of the equivalent sro/diablo cones, the eshopps and seaside aquatics lend better to oversized skimming of smaller tanks.
If price were a big concern...yeah, reef dynamics or a Vertex In series all the way.

azjohnny
11/04/2012, 08:18 AM
I have had my SRO 5000INT for a couple of weeks and the air silencer is working well and have had no problems with the gate valve, but I also did the T fitting mod for the output that I also put a length of PVC pipe that runs vertical with a cap on the end with 1" piece of 1/4" hard tubing for a breather. I tried to copy what a Reef Dynamics skimmer have with their level adjusting tube. I dont know if this makes a big difference since I did the mod from the beginning

swcc
11/05/2012, 09:08 AM
I have had my SRO 5000INT for a couple of weeks and the air silencer is working well and have had no problems with the gate valve, but I also did the T fitting mod for the output that I also put a length of PVC pipe that runs vertical with a cap on the end with 1" piece of 1/4" hard tubing for a breather. I tried to copy what a Reef Dynamics skimmer have with their level adjusting tube. I dont know if this makes a big difference since I did the mod from the beginning

sure does. The outputs (stock) seem to trap air and cause skimmer surging for many(or in the case of the diablos are above the sump water line and splash water). Their output upgrade they sell(which turns the output into a reef dynamics style basically) should come stock with the skimmer IMO and not cost 40 bucks extra. Or they should just redesign the outputs so folks do not have issues. Also, for whatever reason the silencers on different reef octo seem to not work at all.

ianrusso
11/08/2012, 01:30 PM
having gone from a reef dynamics to the eshopps...the opposite is true...the eshopps cone (now running the sicce psk pumps) 'blows the doors' off the reef dynamics(little more volume of skimmate and much darker and chunkier as well). You'd be surprised just how well they work. The s-200 is equivalent to running a seaside aquatics cs8(although the s-200 is a 6" cone vs 8"). Both are proving to perform better than an ins135 reef dynamics skimmer(their equivalent size from them). As far as reef octo...the eshopps does not have the poorly designed outputs and the air silencer actually works. Skim wise, proven to work just as well although due to the larger neck of the equivalent sro/diablo cones, the eshopps and seaside aquatics lend better to oversized skimming of smaller tanks.
If price were a big concern...yeah, reef dynamics or a Vertex In series all the way.

I have been running the Eshoppes Cone Skimmer for about 6 months, it is a great skimmer. No problems what so ever. And the new Sicce pumps are extremely efficient.