PDA

View Full Version : Alk stable, CA not?

sweedish15
11/03/2012, 06:51 AM
So I've been dosing brs 2 part for almost a year now. Over the course of the year I got lazy with testing and when I started again I realized my alk slowly crept way high and my ca dropped way low. I balanced everything back out and have been tracking my results more regular. There seems to be a trend over the last month. My alk has stayed a consistent 9 dkh, but my CA slowly seems to drop. I balanced it out mid october and by the 26th my tests came out 9 dkh and 420 CA. Today, 11/3 my tests came out 9 dkh and 380 CA. This seems to be a regular trend that the calcium drops and the alk stays stable. Dosing is done by BRS 1.1 ml dosers plugged to the same timer. They run every two hours for 5 mins. Mg is stable at 1350

What can I do to keep the CAL more stable without messing up the consistent Alk measurement?

TylerHaworth
11/03/2012, 07:00 AM
You dose more calcium... (Extra time on the Calcium pump)

Mekanic
11/03/2012, 07:15 AM
Whats you magnesium levels at?

If good, you can do a dose of Ca to bump it up, then continue back on your normal regimen

jerpa
11/03/2012, 07:55 AM
I would check the dosing pumps to make sure they are dosing the same amount. That is a large drop in calcium and I would suspect either a pump issue or the solution may be mixed improperly.

Fieroguy19
11/03/2012, 10:12 AM
I would check the dosing pumps to make sure they are dosing the same amount. That is a large drop in calcium and I would suspect either a pump issue or the solution may be mixed improperly.

+1 I agree. There is close to 10x the amount of calcium the tank compared to alk. If your Ca dropped that much then your alk should have dropped probably 2dkh. This is assuming that your mag is in range to prevent precipitation.

Mekanic
11/03/2012, 11:49 AM
Missed the part about having dosing pumps heh.. since I don't have em, I always forget about em lol.

Agree totally with jerpa, double check the output on the Ca pump

bertoni
11/03/2012, 05:13 PM
I'd just bump up the output rate of the calcium doser. It might be worth checking the calcium level in some freshly-mixed saltwater, in case water changes are shifting the parameters.

sweedish15
11/03/2012, 10:48 PM
I was thinking the same things I guess first will be to make sure the dosing pumps are adding even amounts. From the line on the main jugs it appears they are even. Wc s are out bc the numbers changed without a wc in between. I'll also buy a new mg test bc the one I have is really old.