PDA

View Full Version : Sumpless 40 gallon breeder frag tank.

Poomba
11/03/2012, 02:08 PM
So due to my display tank being over run by bubble algae that I just cant beat, Im about to resort to some pretty drastic measures, and get a frag tank out of the deal. I have a 40 gallon breeder sitting around that I want to turn into a frag tank, using as much of my preexisting equipment as possible. It will be all zoas and lps, and until my display tank has been blacked out and the bubble algae has been eradicated, this tank will be holding all of my coral. Id like to do it sumpless because honestly I dont want to build another stand, and Id like to retain some flexibility in the use of this tank in the future.

Flow will be one MP40w/ES turned down quite a bit, but I figure I can use one from my DT while it doesnt need the flow.

Filtration will be an Reef Octopus Reactor with SeaChem Matrix, and I will run some GFO if the Phosphates get out of conrol. As there will only be a molly miller or lawnmower blenny in the tank, I dont have to worry too much about the bio load. Both reactors will be powered by maxijet 1200s.

The big question is lights. I want to run a 4 bulb 36 inch T5 fixture over the tank, as its going to be a relatively low light tank. Id like to use an ATI Sunpower or Power Module. Maybe run two stunner strips on the side for some supplementation? Do you think that it would provide enough coverage in the tank for chalices and zoas? I figure it will but Id like to get other peoples opinions on it.

Racks will be from acryllic. I have acrylic racks and egg crate racks in my current tank, and the acrylic racks have no bubble algae at all.