PDA

View Full Version : stocking a 40breeder, need ideas

tripdad
11/03/2012, 10:06 PM
Putting finishing touches on a new 40 breeder reef and could use some help with stocking suggestions. I am looking for something to occupy the water column and would prefer something that could be kept in a small group, love to see them shoaling. Really like the coloring of anthias but only a forty so? Would like to keep it fairly peaceful also if possible. I will be transfering a single percula clown and SPS and LPS corals. Thanks in advance.:fish1:

OodleyBoodely
11/04/2012, 12:36 AM
I think the best shoaling behavior you will see in that size tank would be from red spot cardinals. :)

rssjsb
11/04/2012, 08:58 AM
I think that's probably right. OodleyBoodely, have you kept these guys? Are they difficult to acclimate?

BTW, your sig line made me lol.

reeferstace
11/04/2012, 09:35 AM
You're not likely to see any type of shoaling behavior in a tank that size. Cardinals would be a nice addition though. They tend to stay near each other (Sphaeramia nematoptera). A midas blenny or yellow coris wrasse would make a nice addition also.

OodleyBoodely
11/05/2012, 01:31 AM
No, just researching for possibles for my tank. I ended up getting 3 pajamas instead, and, they do not like each other! Possibly I have 3 males, and, in a small tank (37g) they just don't want to be in the same space, lol! I'm going to have to catch two and return them. Also tried 3 red stoplight cardinals, but, they went into hiding immediately and over the next 3 days died off. Never saw any evidence of disease, but, have read that many cardinals are delicate shippers and I'm attributing their demise to that...thier shipping box came in very hot.

As for red spots, I've read they are also delicate, but, DD, seems to have good success shipping them. They require frequent feedings of very small food items to thrive. I would still like to try them, but, will wait until my tank has matured more...it is only a couple months old.

tripdad
11/05/2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the ideas so far, was looking at cardinals but wasn't sure which one to look at.I will do some research on all your suggestions, thanks again.