PDA

View Full Version : Converting to a softy tank - any advice please

ali599
11/04/2012, 11:25 AM
I have had a tank for a year now and not really had much success. I have had a massive hair algae overgrow and have now removed and scrubbed all the rocks.I am still spending time clearing detritus as have a shocking build up.
I have decided this is the ideal time to make some changes and I want a softy only tank. I have a 4x2x2 tank with 4 T5's and an arcadia blue led strip. I have a three foot sump with skimmer, uv, and newly added phosphate reactor. Please can you share any advice on parameters, additives, flow etc for making my new softy tank a success. Thanks, Alison.

NanoReefWanabe
11/04/2012, 12:18 PM
sounds as though you either had very dirty rocks or overfed too much to contribute to the PO4 problems. it also sounds as though you didnt have enough flow for your tank, as a result detritus build up.

for a 120g softy tank i would:
use a eheim 1262 for a retun pump.
i would have 3 or 4 decent sized koralia power heads (750-1000gph) tunze or vortech work too if they are in the budget...
hopefully your skimmer is appropriately sized if not upgrade to a larger skimmer you should have one rated for close to double water you water volume will be IMHO...as they are always over rated...however for a softy only tank it is not the end of the world to have the water a little dirty.
PO4 reactor is fine but not really needed for a softy tank
UV reactor is also not needed but doesnt really hurt either.
i would cook all the rocks for a good bit of time (1-2 months) i would jump start the process with a muriactic acid bath first, acetic acid will work too.
i would use 1-2" of sugar fine oolitic sand
i would use an algae turf scrubber or cheato in the sump
i would limit the type and size of fish (avoiding tangs as they are sloppy pigs when it comes to eating) instead go with shoaling fish (anthias, cardinals) and other smaller reef fish like clowns, wrasses, gobies...in a 120g tank i would think you could fit 12 or so of these type of fish.
your lights are fine....
as for paramters;
aim for NSW average:
temp 76-80
pH 8.0-8.4
cal 420
alk 7-10dkh
mag ~1250
Sg 35ppt

the only additives i use are kent marine essentials and kalk